Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My 95 with the 249 will roll with the front ds removed, this I know from experience. My question has to do with the 231 conversion I want to do so this is a little off topic, other than my real question concerns the input shaft in the current 249. I have read every thread on this topic on Nagca and other forums. I keep reading that of there is an input shaft change (regarding gear cut) sometime in 95, never had it narrowed down by t-case ID tag or exact date. Did this perhaps relate directly to (or at least happen at the same time as) the VC change? I already know my 95 with the 5.2 has a pretty rare input shaft (1.550" exposed), so I'll need to swap this into the 231. But can I assume that the gear cut should match the earlier cases, not the new? Even if I decide to go 242 or hybrid combo I'll need them to match. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, money is tight, I can get T-cases real reasonable at the local self-serve boneyard, but I don't want to buy or pull two or more searching for the right one. The yard no longer allows us to bring in parts for comparison, so that's not a option either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Im going to bring this thead back to life: I bought a cherry $550 laredo with the 5.2 and 249. Got it cheap because the "tranny has problems" got it back to my house and it goes in revers flawlessly, drive= nothing! The girl I bought it from had the front driveshaft taken out because the joints were going bad. When "tranny" wnet out she heard a squeel and it would not move. The jeep wont stay in park without the e brake. Bad tranny or 249?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
The rolling Jeep isn't a tranny problem. The 93-95 (249 T-case) can roll without the one of the driveshafts in. The only reason yours is rolling is because the front driveline isn't in.

The VC could also be bad in the 249, but you won't know if that is the case or not until you fix the tranny and start driving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
so whats the right answer? i have and 04 GC limited..is it bad to have the front out? i have heard its bad with it out from chrysler mechanic today and went to another and said it wouldn't hurt it. i just pulled mine out an hour ago cuz the cardan locked up and started screeching cuz the seal/dust block was sucked under the ball n yoke. this is the second time i have drove with it out.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
early 249 tcases would not like driving with the front driveshaft off. more times then not it ended in a blown tcase or VC. Im pretty usre later then 95 or 96 249's it was cool but not reccomended for long periods of time. With a 242 or 231 its all G all day. rear drive shaft is a no no unless you have an SYE case you were wondering

·
Registered
33 Posts
I drove 10,000 miles with the front drive shaft removed on a 1997 jeep grand cherokee Orvis V8 with the 249 transfer case.
Then I put the drive shaft back on and it has been fine for the last 30000 miles.
I had no rolling down the hill issues or problems.
Based on the above, first hand experience, I'm pretty confident in saying that it's fine at least on the 96-98 V8 grands.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I drove 10,000 miles with the front drive shaft removed on a 1997 jeep grand cherokee Orvis V8 with the 249 transfer case.
Then I put the drive shaft back on and it has been fine for the last 30000 miles.
I had no rolling down the hill issues or problems.
Based on the above, first hand experience, I'm pretty confident in saying that it's fine at least on the 96-98 V8 grands.
I concur

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
so whats the right answer? i have and 04 GC limited..is it bad to have the front out? i have heard its bad with it out from chrysler mechanic today and went to another and said it wouldn't hurt it. i just pulled mine out an hour ago cuz the cardan locked up and started screeching cuz the seal/dust block was sucked under the ball n yoke. this is the second time i have drove with it out.
Notice that his is a WJ, so he is talking about the 247. I don't have the answer for you, but hopefully someone else will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so as i read this i have only one question. Why would you want to take the front drive shaft out of your jeep? you bought a jeep. the most capible off road machine made. if you wanted gas milege you should have bought a civic.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
People take it out of the 249 for a couple of reasons...some want to spin the tires (that is Why I have the Camaro), others think that they will get better mileage (not really true b/c the entire front axle is still in movement, or because the VC is going out on the 249.

If they have the 249 and are having binding issues when turning, they take it out until they can repair or upgrade the 249. As stated before, this is only advisable on the 96-98 as the earlier t-cases will allow the Jeep to move in park.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 95 ZJ with an old 249.

So, if my VC is locking up on a normal day even 2 minutes into driving it and I make sure to set the ebrake when I park.. can't I remove the front driveshaft without damaging the case? I know my VC isn't 100% locked up.. but it's getting pretty bad...

I can't even run my big tires because I don't wanna chew them up so I'm running small craiglist take offs...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 96 zj and i went without a front driveshaft for 6 months with no problems.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I Have My Front Driveshaft out now for about 6 months. Love it. Except the only thing is my car tends to roll back slowly on hill and I always have to put the emergency brake on when i park it in my driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey from Minnesota, all,
Been lurking for some time, but first time posting. I took out my front drive shaft a few months ago because the transfer case was making a lot of noise. It started making noise again, so I took it to a local shop, and he said that I need to a new front drive shaft, and that without it it will roll in park and the transmission might be damaged. I know it rolls in park (I always put the ebrake on anyway), but is it true I may have damaged the transmission? Not too sure about that one.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Hey from Minnesota, all,
Been lurking for some time, but first time posting. I took out my front drive shaft a few months ago because the transfer case was making a lot of noise. It started making noise again, so I took it to a local shop, and he said that I need to a new front drive shaft, and that without it it will roll in park and the transmission might be damaged. I know it rolls in park (I always put the ebrake on anyway), but is it true I may have damaged the transmission? Not too sure about that one.
I don't see any way that this could damage the transmission, just hurt the t-case further.

93-95 249 T-cases will allow your Jeep to roll. After reading this thread, I don't know why those running the 93-95 249 still risk it and run without a front driveshaft. Keep the driveline in and let it chew your tires, save up the cash and get it fixed, or change to a different t-case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
currently driving 94 gc without front drive shaft

my 249 transfer case was so bad that it was almost literally undriveable. Before learning that tires must be matching, I had 2 new tires put on the front. Before doing this, it was driveable. Since the new tires, it is not. I see the obvious correlation here but I don't have money for tires right now. The car shakes and vibrates and there are whirring noises that were previously not there. Anything over 30 mph feels like it is beating the crap out of the car. I do not want to ruin this vehicle. I need to use it and I'm broke, so I made the decision to remove the front drive shaft. I'd rather ruin one transfer case then ruin a transfer case, differential, transmission, control arm or whatever is on this thing. At some point I'll be able to put a 242 or 231 in this thing but now I need it to be able to move. I've read that the lack of front drive shaft will "ruin" my transfer case. This is acceptable to me right now as long as it is not particularly dangerous. I read that the jeep may roll, so I've been putting parking brake on. I also tested this in neutral on a hill without parking brake and it didn't roll. Still using parking brake, though. The vehicle runs pretty well without the front drive shaft. Yes, I can squeal the tires however it does lack some of the awesome handling that the full time 4 wheel drive allows. I am wondering what is meant by ruin. My transfer case was pretty bad before. I'm hoping by ruin, people mean it will gradually degrade and not necessarily mean that I'll be driving down the road tomorrow and it will suddenly seize up. I'm hoping the fact that the vc and rest of transfer case are independently cooled by there own fluids will protect rest of transfer case from damage that vc may be suffering due to overheating. At least for a few months. So if anyone knows of a more immediate danger other than the vehicle rolling, please let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Splines/Front Axle Gear Oil

I'm going to take off my son's front drive shaft on his '96 Limited AWD 4.0, which from reading all these posts is a very OK thing to do for a '96 to eliminate the VC problems without spending over $1K on repairs. Apparently it's a simple unbolt operation, with no other fasteners to deal with besides bolts.

I have two questions: Won't the transfer case front output shaft now possibly work its way out of the case because it's just located there with greased splines connecting to the front drive shaft, or is there a good retaining clip/boot that will keep the T-case intact/sealed?

Also, now that there will just be free wheeling of the front axle, can I put some lighter weight gear oil mixture in the front diff to improve fuel economy, like a mix of synthetic engine oil and the called-for gear oil?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts