Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well after reading the post on chop top zj and seeing it i couldn't resist.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I admit it looks sharp, are you going to have the lower hatch act like a truck tailgate? Or leave it off completely? And of course the big question... What did you do to reinforce the chassis now that you have weakened the unibody structure?

Hmmm, I have a neighbor a few doors away selling a 96 ZJ for $1000. Maybe I'll go see what is wrong with it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rear gate will work like a truck gate, as soon as i figure out what to do for a latch. as far as the unibody, i have stiffiners for it im just waiting till i bulid the exo cage. the body feels stiffer now than before i cut it and now that the hatch is actually part of the structure i think it is stronger. or mabey the first time i take it out the welds will crack and the gate will fall out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
damit haha everytime i start to think about doing this someone else does it... Looks good man have you rewired the pop glass thats what im thinking about doing when ("if" ahah) I cut mine so I'll be able to get a little more air flow through the jeep and it would just look cool i think haha

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
looks good, great job

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd tend to agree with Dave. Unless your ZJ got rear ended or you crushed the roof or something, I don't see any real reason to do the chop (well other than being different.)

The only way I could see it being worthwhile would be to stretch the wheelbase and rear cargo area so you'd have some sort of tuck bed. Basically you're turning the ZJ into an explorer sport track.

Something like this photoshop:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Well, I have plans up my sleeve to do something along these lines, but when I do it I believe everyone is going to crap themselves. Its gonna be a one off build thats for sure! I like it though, looks like it is pretty solid. If you could figure out a way to make it work you could probably use CJ7 tailgate hinges then modify the tailgate to have a comanche style tailgate pop and release mechanism, the dimensions are pretty close

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
125 Posts
modify the tailgate to have a comanche style tailgate pop and release mechanism, the dimensions are pretty close

RockZJ
The XJ guys do this all the time since the MJ and XJ have the same body lines.

Doing it with a ZJ is going to involve custom body work. I'd skip the effort and run a pickup net tailgate thing.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The XJ guys do this all the time since the MJ and XJ have the same body lines.

Doing it with a ZJ is going to involve custom body work. I'd skip the effort and run a pickup net tailgate thing.
Well you would kinda expect to do some custom body work with a mod such as this. If it was me, fuzz maybe it will be, I would aim for a custom but clean factory look. Thats where its at! The ZJT they should have made

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Found this pic on another Jeep site and decided to share. Fuzz, of course im kidding man haha, I dont really see the point of doing it but to each their own. I do have a YJ as well so going topless is no problem for me, and I dont even need to get plastered first haha

Fugly or Winner? You decide

RockZJ
i decided that's a terrible photoshop job. and a really ghey jeep.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Fugly, the wheels or rims the owner probably called them speaks for themeselves :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so ya i agree that this has no function as far as wheeling goes, but im doing it for the look. i will be moving the tank up about 6-8" and that will help with daparture. then again i could have done that with out the chop so ya. it is nice though to keep the gas cans out of the cab.

the gate is about two inches narrower than the pillar but that made it easier to fit and keep the lines right. i welded the gate in, then used the skin from the other gate to get the right shape.

i started smoothing the lines today useing dynaglass with teflon. i'll post more picks once its ready for paint.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Rock I have a green ZJ I photochoped and exo'd I'll post up some pics later......I would only do this on a beater though as said above, I found a decent ZJ with a RE3.5" and sport seats 231 swap and a k&n fipk. It comes with all the doors and hatch as well as an extra set of leather enterior, so this may be in my future :) (if i can source $1500)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts