Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fought with my welder, had some feed issues. Seems I forgot I had used .045 wire for my last project, it was a free roll from a friend, and never changed it back. I put in a new roll and all is well. But I worry I damaged the liner, so there will be some replacement soon.

Back to the fun stuff.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

I took my time, this time, with my templates for the end caps. I still may cut the bottom edge parallel to the top.

I have some cleanup still to do, and I'm not sure how much to do, as I seem to make it worse as I go. Hoping some POR15 and roll on bedliner will fill these spaces. I know my welds aren't pretty, but know I got heat through the metal.

Bumper turned out to be 60" wide after I squared off the ends. This gives a little room to add some round tube later to cover the fenders, as soon as a friend can help me bend some tube. Undecided about removing the American Fastbacks plate, but I probably will and weld the rivet holes up. I did grab some LED fog lights for a JK to put in the bumper. I'll wire them in as my factory fogs. Giving lot of thought into adding a trail camera in the front under that branding plate. I may add a tube over the top later as well. Overall, it was an ambitious project for me, and I'm happy. No, it's not prefect, but my ZJ isn't a show piece anyway.

Next up, back to the JK rear bumper.

Bought some flush mount LEDs for back up lighting. Unusre if I want them inboard of the tow hooks.

Or cut and fill the "X"s on the bumper. I've been giving a lot of thought to how to finish the ends to fit the odd shape of the ZJ, and thinking some plate and tube will suffice. I do still need to fab frame tie ins for the rear.

And I HOPE to get material to mount the LJ rock sliders I've had for years. I have some 2" square hitch tube, just like they are made from, to extend them 6" to better fit my ZJ, but not sure I will.

That's all I have for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I put the bumpers on temporary hold, and pulled out the Rocky Road Outfitters LJ sliders. I got them a few years ago, and never really got around to them. They are just a little short for the ZJ, so I needed to "stretch" them.

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I had originally measured for an 8" extension, but thought 6" would be better. Instead, I settled on 7".

Wood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I cut off the angled end, added 7"of the same 2" receiver hitch tube as the sliders. Then, welded them in and welded the angled end on as well. I do need to do more cleaning them up and do the other side tomorrow.

I took a little extra time to make sure I cut the right end off each slider so they would match. The extended ends will face the front of the ZJ. I had considered splitting the difference and adding 3 1/2" to each end, but that would double the work, and I'm lazy and didn't think it would look good.

·
Registered
2007 5.7 Quadra-Drive II
10 Posts
I am so jealous, all those different trails, around here there is none, there are some creeks that people ride, but it's illegal to be in them, but at midnight who's going to catch you? I would love to have just one good trail. I don't want to mud ride, I don't mind some mud, but I just prefer an offroad trail. But anyway, the truck looks good. You keep having fun.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts