Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes... Woke up this morning, walked out went to start and just a bunch of clicks. Figured the battery was dead so I jumped it. Started up. Was only showing 12 volts on the meter. Ran a little while then shut off. Went back out a little while later. The interior lights were flickering constantly. The only way I got them to shut off was by pulling the fuse. Tried to start and nothing. Cluster panel doesn't do anything. Not even a click when you turn the ignition. Tested the battery and I'm getting 12.5 volts so the battery is good (i'm thinking). Cleaned up terminals and put back together. Tried starting it again and instrument panel came on then just a click when I tried to start it. Now nothing again. Am I looking at having to replace my altenator or where should I go from here?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a couple of ideas: you should be reading close to 14 volts on your voltmeter when running. Check your battery voltage when attempting to crank. Check the battery voltage from the positive wire side of the battery terminal to the engine block, you may have a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, replaced the battery. Starting right up now. Shoulda guessed that after I jumped it and it didn't hold a charge to start a second time. Keep fingers crossed that was it.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had same issue a couple months back. Could charge battery, but did not have enought cranking amps.

Was it an old battery, or is there something drawing power, when car is off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery wasn't that old. Mar 06 on sticker. But when I looked in the book the battery was supposed to have a lot more CCA's then the one the PO had in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts