Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to WJ's, but not Jeeps. I own a XJ and a MJ. I'm looking at a 99 Limited with the 4.0(by choice, I love the engine.)I'm not familiar with the transfercase, Quadratrac, Quadradrive, NVG 247? I'm also not familiar with the transmission. Anything to be aware of with these items? It's a nice beast with 36,000 miles, and all the bells and whistles with the upcountry option. Did the upcountry come with a limited slip for that year? I know the new ones it's a seperate order, but the Cherokees used to get a limited slip with the upcountry.
I'm buying this for my wife. I'm tempted to buy a new Sport version with leather seats, and side airbags which she wants as it's only about $5k more.
Fred

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fred Blum......Sorry I can't help much....I do believe that Quadratrac II and Quadra Drive were only avalible with the 4.7 V-8s. The differents in the two is the Quadra Drive has the V-Locks in the front and rear....Good Luck........Don S..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the transfercase is called a quadratrac II. I knew the verorotor axles are only available with the V-8. Does this case lock front and rear axles in 4-lo?
Another newbie question, How is the aluminum D-44 holding up in the newer WJ's? That was my other reason for looking for a six, is the d-35 which isn't that great but it is a known quantity.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
290 Posts
Fred Blum..... Does this case(qd) lock front and rear axles in 4-lo? ...YES ..About the rear ends Check in this TECH section for Topic "Differentual Bearings". I wouldn't want either one if I had over 31" tires........Take care......Don S..

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Quadradrive was offered with the I-6 in 1999. I don't know about other years. I think it is a rare combination, as I had to order mine that way. I too am a fan of the 4.0 and was a little hesitant to order the 4.7 in its first year of production. It seems that it is holding up well and I would probably opt for it next time. The QD works really well on the street, but the front can be overpowered on the trail in 4LO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Turchman...
That is interesting..... A friend of ordered a 2001 TJ with a Dana 35/373 rear...I was told by a dealer it was NOT an option.. I also worried 'bout the 4.7 but at 27,000 it still perfect. thanks.......Don s..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fred

the 1999's did have an more than the usual " bad" Quadra-Drive system equipped WJ's. THere were issues with the pressure limiting valves in the axles that were changed on later years, and unfortunately the owners and FSM called for ATF in the transfer case, which is NOT the correct fluid ( there's a spaecil " NV247" TC fluid that is mineral oil w friction additives)that may have darnaged some cases also.
check under the hood for a white sticker on the bottom front edge of the hood that may state any TSB's or reaclls ( like the 882 recall) that has been done. Crawl underneath and see if it has an ALL U-joint front DS, one joint will look like a back to back joint w a coupler on it (that's a DOUBLE CARDAN Joint)that may have been installed under warranty to fix a bad CV jointed front driveshaft. See if you can drive it and get it up to highway speed, then stop quickly while firmly applying the brakes, it should be smooth with no steering wheel shake or pedal feedback to indicate that you have no warped rotors that should be replaced.

Those are some of the main things, also check to see if any and all recalls were done.

HTH

John

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it is one of the WJ made in late 98 and early 99 you might be better of with the sport. Later 99 models have a lot of the problems corrected and are very good. Also the Cooling system on the 99 was not the best and if you get hit with mod fever and change your bumper for a bullbar you might have temperature problems etc.

Jorge

·
Registered
25 Posts
fredblum said:
I'm tempted to buy a new Sport version with leather seats, and side airbags which she wants as it's only about $5k more.
fredblum, if it's not too late - without question, get the '02 Sport for only $5k more. I could come up with 200 reasons, easy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I can't add too much that has not already been said, but its REALLY nice to see all of you guys over here on nagca!!!!!

Sean

·
Registered
458 Posts
My 99 WJ has the the QT II in it. It completely sucks. My born on date is 1998 also. I have been through 4 transmissions in the past 3 years and ALL before I was even lifted! My T/C uses the ATF fluid and in fact, that was a large reason for swapping in the NP231. I could NOT get my TSB driveshaft done under warranty (due to being lifted) but they DID swap in the new hydraulic cooling system for about $200 for me.

I have NOT had any electrical problems NOR engine troubles. It has been great other than the tranny.

Hope that this helps in making a decision.

Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
It really appears that any WJ with a born on date before Feb. 99 is more likely to have some problems. You would think that they would have all been repaired before the warranty expired though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 99 made in feb of 99. so i guess later model. no engine problems so far and i am up to 83000 on my 4.7. The cooling issue is bad, but not on the six cylinders.

i am currently on my second tranny . but it blew up because of my transfer case, which blew up because of my axles, which blew up because the dealership mechanics didn't put in the right differential fluid in the both diffs. That happend at about 65000 , GET THE EXTENDED WARRENTY. saved me from about 8000$ of work at just that one time.

The quadra-drive is alright. great in the snow and rain, and most off road, but if you are going to mod it, just get opens, because it is harder to change out to a real locker. IT will require getting a new carrier( i think ) , and new axles as the quadradrive carrier is offset of the side about an inch and a real locker could not use the axle shafts.

I would just spend the extra 5 and get the sport. It is a little bit more refined then the 99's. Either way try to get a warrenty. and find a good dealership that will honor it.

i think that is all
beau

1 - 13 of 13 Posts