Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 WJ that started having problems over a year ago. Started with an intermittent no-start, which I eventually determined was sentry-key related. Also gauges would drop out intermittently. It eventually got worse and worse. Took it to a mechanic, and he said it would be dealer-only. I spent about 1400 dollars at the dealership, and they finally said it was the gauge cluster, and its discontinued, so they can't help. The gauge cluster self-test comes out fine, if that means anything here. I also have used 4 junkyard gauge clusters with no change. I also bought an entire computer set (BCM, PCM, Gauges, SKIM) and installed it in my Jeep, and had all the same problems-no change. I read that broken door wires can cause this, and I couldn't find any broken ones, or grounded out. I also checked all the fuses, and none are blowing. I'm at the point where I wish I could just junk it, but I really can't afford to. If you need any more info, please let me know. If you can help at all, please give me any and all suggestions.I'm cross-posting over a few forums, because I'm desperate. I appreciate you all

·
Registered
29 Posts
Intermittent gage issues are typically an indication of a bad connection somewhere. It could be as simple as loose or dirty battery terminals, or it could be something harder to find, but its almost certainly a loose or damaged wire somewhere. A wiring manual would help you find and trace the right wires.
Window failures in these vehicles are often the wiring in the door jambs getting worn from constant flexing and pinching. You need to check the drivers side door wire bundle very closely, as well as the bundles for any other affected door windows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wj did the same thing, changed the flasher relay under the driver's side dash and the headlight relays. But my radio also was the root of the problem because the remote to the amp had to be connected which it was not. Everything is at 100%now. Goouck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts