Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, This is a mod I just completed today on my '04 WJ Overland. In the US market the WJ's bottom red lense does not have a bulb or socket it's completely unused. In other markets this spot it used for a "Rear Fog Lamp" which increases visibility when parked, etc. and is controled by a switch on the dash for the Left or Right side. This is a mod I Had been wanting to do for years but had never had the time to do, untill today!
---Parts and tools needed to do this mod:
-Sockets for the bulb (I went the recycle route, I grabbed two from a YJ at the local Junkyard for $2 with the bulbs)
-Bulbs (#3157 same as the oem stop/turn/back-up/running lamps, in my case)
-Dremel tool with various bits
-Drill to get hole started or hole saw bit the size of lamp socket neck
-soldering gun, heat shrink tube & gun or quick taps & electrical tape
-------
To remove the tail lamp assembly unscrew the two inside phillips screws and then carefully pull the assembly back to pop a retainer out of the body. Now unplug the tail lamp by sliding the red tab away from the plug and then pushing on the plug tab, pull it out of the back of the lamp. The proper location has a faint molded line where the oem socket would go. Becareful the inside reflector is just inside the oem socket rail, and it may be easy to damage it when cutting, there is also a metal bar running on the inside of the socket rail I was able to trim in this area with no problem. This is hardest part, getting the hole and socket tabs correct, also check to see if the bulb is too close to the inside reflector as it may melt once the bulb gets warm. Ok, now put the socket in and if its a good fit then its time to wire it up. On mine I just wired it to light-up with the running lamps only, but it could also be set up to work with the brake lights aswell. For the WJ's '99-'04 the running lamp wire is the Black line with the Yellow tracer, tap into that and the ground and wrap it up. now you can reinstall the tail lamp assembly back into location and try it out! This mod adds alittle more visability to the rear of the Jeep and fuller look to the rear lighting and for me it took around an hour and only $2.

Here are some photos of the job and finnished product... Thanks, Todd

Attachments

· Premium Member
484 Posts
In case anybody was wondering, the feature is required in Europe because of the narrow streets. The lights are low watt and are intended to be left on for long periods, on whichever side that is close or sticking out when parked.

· Registered
1,927 Posts
good mod did this last weekend but used an 1157 bulb and a harness for a GM 60's-70's model..i did it in both right and left tailight and ran it to a switch so i can control when i want it on.

great mod for Heavy Rain and FOG

· Registered
34 Posts
lol I am a Volunteer Firefighter in my local town. This section is a nice place to mount the rear lights on a Strobe light kit. lol That is where mine are located.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.