Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Wife's second ZJ. I bought her first (97 5.2 Limited) in Dec of 96. Had it for 5 years before she decided she wanted to join the crowd and get a 4 door truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a TJ and the way it was set up, it became a 2 seater in the summer. My wife wanted to be able to take the kids, grand kids or her parents with us to some of the places we go and since they weren't riding in my Jeep, we started looking for a GC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were actually looking for a WJ with the 4.0 and select-trac TFC (sorry you WJ V-8 guys but I am not sold on that 4.7), when this kind of fell in our lap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The viscus coupler in the TFC was bad and it needed bearings in the front D30 (AND the color was AWFUL!!) so we got a great deal on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our original plan was to repaint it a different color, maybe back to it's original white or tan??? But since I built it we get so may compliments on the color (for it's uniqueness) we don't think we'll change it now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We had a good NP231 buildable core at the shop so I started there. I had installed a 3" lift on my Wife's first GC and she did not like it. It had a slight vibration we could never completely get rid of. In fact she made me remove the lift a put it back to stock (After all, it WAS her car). Therefore, when I built the 231, I included an Advance Adapters SYE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to get rid of the front CV shaft so when installing the new bearings, I changed out the yoke for a U-Joint style:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I didn't feel the need to get any better lift than that. Not that the Iron Rock lift is inferior, because the lifts I've seen of theirs are high quality lifts, but I bought the cheapest 4.5" lift Iron Rock offers. The intention of this vehicle is to be able to take family members to the more tame areas we like to go. The TJ is for trails like the Rubicon, etc. I had also just installed a long arm upgrade to the TJ so I used the Rubicon Express Adjustable SuperFlex arms from it on the ZJ. I already had front uppers and lowers and rear lowers.

Now, I do like the Iron Rock lift but, I did have a couple problems when installing it. First the rear trackbar was not long enough. I just happened to have a trackbar bracket from another lift I never used and had to install it on the ZJ to get the rear end lined up. I do plan on upgrading to an adjustable rear trackbar in the future. The other problem I had was the rear 33" tires would NOT go on with the stock length control arms. I would have had to trim about 3/4 of an inch off the front of the rear wheel well openings in order to get the tires on. I had to order upper adjustable arms in order to get the tires on. I know the lift says it is for 32" tires, but I also installed 1" pucks in the rear and 2" pucks in the front so I would have assumed it would have worked. Plus, I don't believe 32" tires would have fit either since there was a 3/4" discrepancy and the difference in the radius of 32" and 33" tires is only 1/2". With that said, I still love the lift!

When installed with the stock tires on it, the front measured almost 7" taller and the rear almost 6". And, although I don't think I really needed them, I included JKS sway bar disconnects with the lift.

As you can see the stock rear tires are almost hitting the wheel wells

After adjusting the rear control arms:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Then it was time to address the driveshafts. Final balancing of the new rear D/L:

completed and ready to go in:

And last but not least was servicing the rear differential, the transmission, oil change and complete brake job.

Finished product for now:

Future plans include cut-out fender flares and 35's and ???

I do need one of these if anyone has one (EDIT: Got one!!!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heading out to one of our favorite camping spots:

Why we built this thing, getting a Christmas tree with the grand kids:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great build thread. Thanks for posting. :cool: This was sort of the route I was planning for our ZJ (4.5" lift w/33s), but my wife is pretty small in stature, so I now plan on 3.5" lifts & 31s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!!

With the 2" pucks mine measured almost 7" on the stock tires. With the 33's its even a little taller.

My wife is 5' 4". She is able to get in and out without a problem :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts