Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wife just called from work and described a problem with our '97 ZJ 5.2L. She says she's got a rattle at idle that sounds like it's coming from under the hood. She says it's pretty loud because she could hear it over the radio.

Search results all kind of point to a Cat. going bad which could easily be the case... 70k mileage. Loaded up my tools but just wanted to do a quick post to see if anyone has any ideas based on this limited info. She didn't report any power loss so if it is the cat it hasn't plugged yet.

The ZJ has been pretty problem free so I havn't got a whole lot of experience under the hood like I have with my '88 XJ.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe you've already gone to look at it, but my first guess with a loud "rattle" from the engine would be the bearings in one of the idler pulleys going bad. If that's the case, replace immediatly before it siezes and breaks off.
Don.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to take a look and found the h2o pump was shot... Factory skid plate tried to trick me by catching the weeping but the mech fan was loose and was making noise. Not too bad of a fix.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hawaiian Style said:
Hi,

Wife just called from work and described a problem with our '97 ZJ 5.2L. She says she's got a rattle at idle that sounds like it's coming from under the hood. She says it's pretty loud because she could hear it over the radio.

Search results all kind of point to a Cat. going bad which could easily be the case... 70k mileage. Loaded up my tools but just wanted to do a quick post to see if anyone has any ideas based on this limited info. She didn't report any power loss so if it is the cat it hasn't plugged yet.

The ZJ has been pretty problem free so I havn't got a whole lot of experience under the hood like I have with my '88 XJ.

Thanks in advance.
I agree about cat. I had them go bad at:
Nissan - 80k
Chevy - 210k
Jeep - 146k
Get the carsound cat. Thats what I always used :cool:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hawaiian Style said:
Went to take a look and found the h2o pump was shot... Factory skid plate tried to trick me by catching the weeping but the mech fan was loose and was making noise. Not too bad of a fix.

Thanks for the help.
LOL! Just saw this. Glad you found it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you often date online? I cannot say I have found serious relationships on dating sites but I am a frequent visitor there, read the next page. I find it difficult to meet new people in real life. I am not that outgoing to maintain engaging conversation. And on the dating sites everything is a bit different. I feel more confidence interacting online. So I prefer online dating.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Reactions: BloNdeChiNeEz

·
Registered
87 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts