Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat but I did a search and couldn't find anything that matched exactly. I have a 1999 WJ with a 4.0l and 42RE transmission and really need some help.

It has started to produce a whining noise whenever the selector is placed in Drive or Reverse. The noise is not present in Park or Neutral. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor as the noise is present even when stopped. I crawled under the car and the noise seems to be coming from the transmission area and not the transfer case. I checked the fluid level and it is full.

I've thought about changing the fluid and filter to see if that may help. Since the noise is present when stopped but not in Park or Neutral, I think I can rule out the differentials and transfer case. Am I wrong? Could it be something related to the torque converter? Some other transmission component?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat but I did a search and couldn't find anything that matched exactly. I have a 1999 WJ with a 4.0l and 42RE transmission and really need some help.

It has started to produce a whining noise whenever the selector is placed in Drive or Reverse. The noise is not present in Park or Neutral. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor as the noise is present even when stopped. I crawled under the car and the noise seems to be coming from the transmission area and not the transfer case. I checked the fluid level and it is full.

I've thought about changing the fluid and filter to see if that may help. Since the noise is present when stopped but not in Park or Neutral, I think I can rule out the differentials and transfer case. Am I wrong? Could it be something related to the torque converter? Some other transmission component?
Did you ever find what the issue was ?

·
Registered
126 Posts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts