Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2004 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8 4x4. A check of the VIN says it should have Quadra Trac II but the back door says Quadra Drive on it and the floor shifter says Selec-Trac with the 2wd, 4pt, 4ft, N, and 4L. Is there another way I can tell what’s really going on here?

·
Administrator
675 Posts
sounds like its had a 242 transfer case swap done.
Quadra drive should be the front and rear electronically controlled locking differentials

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the explanation. Next question is what happens when/if the Vari-lol differentials and clutch packs fail/go out/ need replaced? It’s not looking like there’s anyway to repair them to factory without finding some other less used parts to swap in. Does this mean that eventually all Vari-loks will be used up and theoretically no more parts will be available ?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hi Hudson!
Like Brian mentioned, it sounds like it had a 242 transfer case swapped into it. That is exactly what I did to my '01 WJ and mine came with Quadra-Drive. I still have the front and rear limited slip differentials but the 242 gives me more options and a stronger t-case for harder four-wheeling. Brian says the diffs are electronic but mine are not. They are hydraulic and controlled by pressure created by gerotors in the units. They may have gone electronic in '04 but I'm not 100% sure.

The down side to the Vari-lok differentials is they are not serviceable. You have to replace the entire unit and I dont think they are making them anymore. You can source for units in junkyards but its a gamble. The D30 axle (front) has a lot of aftermarket differential options if it does go out. I upgraded to a Tru-Trac for more aggressive slip control.
The D44A axle (most likely your rear axle since you have the 4.7L) is very limited in traction control options. However, change your fluids like clock work like Brian mentioned and they will last a long time. Use a high quality gear lube and make sure you add the friction modifier additive. Grab yourself a service manual off of ebay and it will explain the whole process.

I've owned my 2001 WJ for 16 years now so I'm happy to be of any help!

Reactions: Brian-Emmons

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking to buy a 2004 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8 4x4. A check of the VIN says it should have Quadra Trac II but the back door says Quadra Drive on it and the floor shifter says Selec-Trac with the 2wd, 4pt, 4ft, N, and 4L. Is there another way I can tell what’s really going on here?
If you get under the vehicle & look at the back of the transfer case you should find a metal tag that will indicate if it is a NP242.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All,

appreciate the information and all the support for a newbie(prospect owner). I don’t mind cutting my teeth and doing the work though. I researched till I was blue on those axle situations but I’m now pretty sure there will be an upgrade down the road. No biggie. Just looking for a decent off road vehicle to flat tow behind our motorhome. Have been looking at XJs too but my needs are for a decent dependable driver with AC for the wife and kids. We just explore. We’re not rock crawling or bogging folk.
Again, many thanks for the support team.
Take care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks All,

appreciate the information and all the support for a newbie(prospect owner). I don’t mind cutting my teeth and doing the work though. I researched till I was blue on those axle situations but I’m now pretty sure there will be an upgrade down the road. No biggie. Just looking for a decent off road vehicle to flat tow behind our motorhome. Have been looking at XJs too but my needs are for a decent dependable driver with AC for the wife and kids. We just explore. We’re not rock crawling or bogging folk.
Again, many thanks for the support team.
Take care.
I've been very pleased with the GC's that I've had. 2 WJs & a ZJ. The XJ are good too just keep in mind that the WJ is roomier on the inside & it's got more goodies for options. That's the biggest difference.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Me as well! My WJ has been very reliable besides the typical maintenance and wear items. The only problems I've had were due to user error.
Change your fluids like clock work and be sure to follow the correct intervals. If you do ANY kind of severe service driving (mountains, towing, dry/dusty, city, extreme heat, extreme cold....pretty much includes ALL of us), follow the severe service intervals and use good quality and the right kind of fluids.

Many disagree but I think the 4.7L is a great engine as long as its not neglected. DO NOT overheat it, not even once, don't even get the gauge near the red. It has aluminum heads that will warp when overheated and lead to a blown head gasket. Been there, done that. Always use the correct oil, quality filter, and the right coolant.
(y)

Reactions: Brian-Emmons
1 - 9 of 9 Posts