Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've been reading around the threads to try to answer my questions but haven't found all i needed yet.

Will a WJ laredo with a 4" roughcountry lift clear a 265/75/16 tire with no trimming, i would like to avoid trimming if all possible. I don't mind some minor rubbing i just don't want it to get too extreme.

I would like to know if anybody has any ideas where to put the spare tire once it has a bigger tire on it, i like the roof rack ones but while reading around i didn't find much anything positive about them, and frankly i just don't like the bumper ones. If anybody has any ideas on a way to keep the wheel in the interior your ideas would be great, i was thinking maybe getting the spare mount from a zj but i'm not sure if that could work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am not actually sure about the tire question i have a stock WJ and i am running 245/75/15 and i get no rubbing so with 4in of a lift the biggest i would probably go is 255's But i ain't exactly sure on the WJ. Also with the spare tire problem i also have a ZJ and have owned XJ's the spare mounts are great but they don't work once the spare is to big. In my old XJ a 31 wouldn't even fit on the mount. With the roof rack idea its great and all if you can lift the tire up and down. Someone i wheel with has an XJ with 6in lift and a roof rack and he just don't have the arm strength to lift the tire that high nor get it back down and he was running 33's

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd go with a 245/75/16 (9.65"/30.47"/16) before a 255/70/16 (10.04"/30.06"/16). Mainly because i know that the 245 will fit, plus the 245's slightly larger in diameter, not enough to make a differance but i can't find a 255 with a 75 side wall, only 70. From my research around the site i've found that some people say that a 265/75/16 (10.43"/31.65"/16) will fit with no problems, some say will need some trimming, most say it varies by the type of tire, the two main tires i'm looking at are the bf goodrich all-terrain and goodyear wrangler territory's, most likely the all-terrains though, goodyears only if my dad can get a deal on them like he said he might be able to.

For the spare i have looked into the roof racks and i don't think lifting it would be too much of a problem where in my line of work i spend a lot of time working above my head, it might be a bit of trouble but not too bad. The main thing that concerns me about it is it's my only road legal vehicle so it's used as a daily driver, and i've read of some saying it makes it a bit more tippy and something about a sway bar. I don't know a whole lot about how a vehicles suspension works so i wasn't quite sure what they were talking about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well i do know this the guy that i know who has a roof rack yeah it made his XJ more top heavy but he went to moab and was crawling stuff and that roof rack didn't cause any problem and he also uses his as a daily driver and he has no sway bar in the front. But i see WJ's all the time out here with the spares on there roof racks so i don't think it will cause to much of a problem. But yeah a 245 will for sure fit with 4in. And i am running 245 bf AT's.

·
Registered
372 Posts
At stock height and at 3" of lift I ran 245/75r16 mud terrains. They're perfect at stock height, but at 3" they started to look a little funny, being kind of small. At 6.5" of lift they looked retarded. Now I'm running 33x12.5x15s and they're perfect, but I did have to cut a fair bit both front and rear.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Horatio said, they 245/75/16 started looking a little funny once lifted, that's one thing i was thinking of, the main thing i'm thinking of though is will the 265/75/16 fit inside the fender once that heavy articulation happens. I'm trying to avoid trimming the fenders if i have to, don't really care about the bumpers. But i'm looking to have something that gets a good amount of clearance at the differentials and hopefully doesn't do too much rubbing. Most of the areas i go a stock wj can handle if you take it slow enough, still scrapes here and there but not bad. Though there's more places we'd like to go but with a stock jeep of any kind we can't get there.

You said you needed to trim with a 12.5" tire on there, do you know how well a tire that's 10.4" wide should fit? I would imagine it would but you never know what you might run into.

By the way, thanks for the help all of you are giving. I had a cavalier and i was on a j-body forum and if you asked a question everybody basically told you you were an idiot and told you to F off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No idea on the 10.5 widths, I also went from OEM wheels to cragar soft-8 15x8 with 4" backspacing, so it changed where the wheels sit.

I'm a moderator on a large subaru forum, and I've seen more and more people just being blatantly rude for no good reason. Sure, a lot of the same questions get asked over and over, but whatever, sometimes you just can't think of the right search terms to get the answers. I'm happy to help whenever I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts