Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 1999 2wd Grand Cherokee, I6 Laredo. What type of rear axle do I have?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gearmesh on 2002-04-14 17:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
It's either a dana 35c (round differential housing with a plastic plug for the fill hole,) or a dana 44a (6 sided differential housing with a screw plug.)

Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does that mean if I bought a locker for the rear I am looking for a Dana 35 locker? I don't have to worry about the "C" part do I?

I just need to know cause a private party wants to sell me one for a Dana 35 but I didn't know if that would fit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A lot of people think the "C" means c-clip but in fact it means custom. Chrysler order the axles from dana not completed so they got stamped C. What might make a difference is if you have a c-clip axle or not. I don't know if there was even a choice on Grands but on xj's there was. Look at the outer axle tube where it goes into the brakes. Is the tube the same diameter? If yes then you have c-clips. If it is visually larger then you do not have c-clips. Like I said I don't know what options the grands came with. I just know that my old xj was lucky to not have c-clips. It might make a difference on the locker if you have c-clips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts