Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 40 miles to and from work everyday. Yesterday I noticed nothing out of the ordinary after the drive home and stopped for checking the air in my tires. 2 miles later when I pull into my driveway the Right Front hub/brake disc is so hot that it is smoking. To touch the wheel itself was almost unbearable. Today after driving to work, nothing hot at all, at least no hotter than the rest of the wheels.

What would cause the hub and disc to overheat? Sticky caliper, wheel bearing? I cannot figure this one out...

TIA

·
Registered
502 Posts
Usually the wheel bearing will make tons of grinding (especailly around turns) when wearing out, but I have had a few in grands come into the shop where they were not grinding very loudly at all. Lift the front end of your truck off the ground, support it on jack stands and wiggle your wheels. Put your hands at 12 and 6 and give quick wiggles, if there is play, you have a bad wheel bearing. BUT it could be the caliper as well, which is definatly normal under heavy braking, and very frequent braking conditions. How are your brakes?

·
Registered
742 Posts
It probaly is a dragging caliper, I had my drivers front turn the whole rotor glowing red and it burned all the dustseals on the caliper, made the disc useless, the funny thing is it really didn't warp that bad but I do have new pads and rotors now thanks to Tim helping me do a brake job in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking that the brake fluid is old and the boiling point has fallen and this caliper is getting hot and the fluid is expanding from the heat and putting pressure on the piston. I am going to replace the calipers and the rotors this weekend. I am pretty certain the new calipers, fluid and rotors will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Man, I wouldn't go replacing everything unless they are slap worn out anyway. It is entirely possible that the caliper or one the pads hung up enough to drag. I could go into extreme detail about experiences with another vehicle only to find that the problem was that the rubber hose had actually come apart INTERNALLY and would restrict fluid RETURNING to the master cylinder, thereby maintaining pressure enough to drag on that caliper. I bought two calipers and one new rotor before I found that. This is rare, but I am witness that it can in fact happen.

As for the bearings. They will produce lots of heat, but the heat will ALWAYS be built. If you notice it once, it will contiue until replacement. Never have I seen them heat up intermittently.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
(asside from "preventative maintenance" ofcourse. :) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts