Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zj is equipped with a 3" OME/ Teraflex lift. Right now i am running 31x10.50 Good-year MT/R's and i will never run this tire again. They have chopped worse than any mud tire thaat I have ever seen. I am probably going to stick with a 31" tire; however, i don't know which tire i will get. You all have any advice?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had good luck with a set of BFG ATs long ago, great tires but were too expensive. Great highway wet/snow/ice, great off-road, tough as nails.
Absolutely HATE the Cooper Radials I have on now, don't waste your time or money. Thin, lousy street wet/dry, so-so off-road. Hasn't snowed yet but doubtful. Don't go there.
Going to do some Pro Comp ATs for street tires this summer, hear many great things about them for general purpose including off-road. Probably equal to the BFG ATs from what I hear/read.
Good Years have always sucked in my experience and always will in my opinion. Ran them on some other vehicles not by choice. Hated them at least as much as the Coopers. At least the GYs didn't bust at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've used BFG AT's, and am currently runnng the MT/R's(I like em'). I had a set of really cheap General AT's one time and they lasted pretty good and wheel'd OK.
But if I couldn't have my GY MT/R's, my second choice would be the BFG AT's.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have known many people that have run the BFG AT's. From what i have seen and heard they are excellent tires but i think i would rather run another mud grip(my zj loves the florida mud). Have any of you tried the Pro-Comp MT's, BFG MT KM's, or even the Pro-Comp X-Terrains?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Id go with the new BFG Mud tire. Make sure you keep your tires rotated every 5K miles and have the balance checked regularly. The balance.tire pressure and rotation is critical if you don't want uneven wear. :crazy:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fish Guts on 2002-03-02 09:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have the procomp mt on mine... they look good, ride good, off road good, and they are super quite on the highway.. but i used to run thornbirds... MOSTERS off road, horrible on road

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i must just have a bad set of MT/R's because everybody else loves theirs. I have them rotated and balanced every 3K miles but they still chop really bad. I think i have narrowed down my choices to BFG AT KO's or Pro-Comp AT's. Do you think this is a good solution for a zj that is on the road about 90% of the time, or should i go with a different mud grip?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm running the good old Durango Radial AT's and they pull like hell in the mud and sand. Have had a few driving experiences in the snow and they performed very well. Also they have been very trustworthy in the rain. Great price on them. I got mine for about 100 bucks a tire.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You must have just picked up a bed set or something, everyone seems to love theirs. I was considering getting set also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my goodyear mtr`s. i use to be a bfg man, now im converted. The bfg`s are a really hard compound and you can go forever on a set, but when the terra firma gets wet or frozen youre screwed. Sure, in deep stuff the bfg is awesome, but i race for a living and let me tell you theres nothing like GRIP! And, with goodyears new side wall tech, maybe I wont have any flats running over a garden hose. So far I love them (so far)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea...i started crossing the MT/R's when i rotate them now and they are wearing very evenly. however, i saw a zj with 31x10.50 SSR's under a 3" pro-comp lift and it looked awesome! i think that is what i will run next time. from what i hear they wear pretty well also. next year when i save some money i will put on the 7" RK lift and keep my 2" tera spacers for a 9" lift...that is when i will run boggers or hawgs.

·
Registered
499 Posts
as sort of an oddball choice you might want to look at yokahama geolanders, from people i have talked to they are fairly(for mud tires) quiet on the road and tear it up in the mud and whatnot

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, yokohama might be a good choice, how much $ do they run for a 31x10.50? i am still thinking SSR though...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I put 60K on the old 32's BFG mt's on my 97 Dakota. I put 20K on my 32's MTR's on the Durango and they had 1/2 the tread left but seemed to stick to the pavement and snow better. Now have 10K on the 32's BFG mt/km's and they are wearing as well as the old bfg's and are the quietest of the bunch. The MTR's were a full 1+" wider tread width for the same exact size on the same rim than either BFG.

89 XJ chevy 350, weind, holley, taylor, mallory, AA, jks, RC 4.5", 10" hellcats, 33x12.50 mtr's, 6" tj flares, cut fenders, xd9000i, 3/8" plate winch bumpers... http://community.webshots.com/user/extremeoffroad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SKEETER on 2002-03-23 23:14 ]</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so the BFG m/t KM's are another option...but would you any of you choose them over a swamper?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run a set of Yokohama Geolandar AT+ tires on my 95 ZJ (235/75/15) and I must say they are awesome in the rain and on dry sandy trails. They are OK on Ice and snow if the snow doesn't go deeper than a foot. In really deep snow they suck. I got stuck a few times already this winter in two-foot drifts and had to get tugged out. I'm gonna put a No-Slip locker in the rear this summer.

Here's a question: What's the largest set of snow tires I can fit on a stock 95 ZJ with zero extra lift. I'm worried about rubbing the inner fender at full shock compression. I don't want to put any lift on this Jeep since it's a daily driver and my wife is short(er than me) ;-)

I've been looking at a set of 30x9.5x15 which should be only slightly bigger than what I have now but the fender wells look pretty spacious. How far can I push it?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you can run a 30x9.50 stock...it works fine. now i have a question for you...why dont you want to lift your jeep. being short is not an excuse not to lift it. zj's look way to "squat" stock and need at least 2" of lift to cure this. it is my suggestion that you put on a teraflex BB and run a 30x9.5 0r 31x10.50. this will make the jeep look tough and i a msure that your wife can hike her leg up a couple more inches to get into the vehicle. LIFT IT!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I just looked at the specs on the OX locker and it's just what I need. Installing a autolocker seems easiest but with the amount of ice we get here and the autolockers' bad manners on ice gave me a bad taste in my mouth. I originally wanted to go with a selectable locker (ARB, or electro-mechanical) but the cost made it beyond us.
The Terraflex BB kit looks good and is inexpensive too! But for the life of me I can't find an OX locker kit anywhere to get prices. I've got a D35C rear (not sure of the gear ratio). Do you of anywhere online that carries a kit for my application? Best price?
What about using a Detroit TrueTrac locker in the rear? I like the idea of a limited-slip diff but soured on the stories of worn-out clutch plates. The TrueTrac uses gears instead so would this be a better idea? Both the OX and TrueTrac would require the removal of the carrier so 'should' I replace the ring and pinion at the same time or just reuse the original gears/shims/etc.?
Thanks
I've started a new thread with this subject under the 'tech' area.

1995 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L/I6, Quadra-trac(full-time 4wd), Yoko Geolandar A/T+II 235/75/15, KYB shocks, EnergySuspension PolyU bushings all the way around. Next up...PowerTrax No-Slip locker rear

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: erik_hans on 2002-03-23 02:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: erik_hans on 2002-03-23 05:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got a set of 31" BFG MT on some steel black rock crawlers. I backed down from getting the 32s with my skyjacker 3" lift.
I found out in buying them that the if you are not putting them on your stock rims, that wheel backspacing is very important for fit. (I went with 4.5", not the RC standard 3.75)

But back to tires, the swampers are great in the mud, but tread wear from road use is quick unless you get the radials. I chose BFG mud as the new KM tread is a more agressive than the ATs some frieds run. I may only run them in the summer and keep my Pirrelli's for the winter.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts