Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GC Ltd. 5.2L with quadra-trac. So far, all I have added to my Jeep is an ARB bull bar. I would like to lift my Jeep 3-4", but I have had a lot of people warn me about lifting with quadra-trac. What do I need to do? I don't want to shorten the life of my Jeep too much. I am also on the road all the time. Thanks for any help! I'm just getting started, I know I have asked a very broad question.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You will probably get several different answers on this topic. I am running 6"'s of lift with the quadra-trac system. I do have some vibes, it's nothing I can't live with. I just had the viscous coupling replaced about 8 months ago. I would go with the RE 4.5" lift for starters. If you get the 3" lift, you will want to go bigger.
-Colt

·
Registered
93 Posts
B-N-M,

I was really skeptical about the exact same thing, the only reason RE has that warning on their web-site is to CYA. In the early pre-96 249 t-cases, it would create a vibe and prematurely wear out the VC. I wouldn't worry about it, I've had that kit on mine since early 2000 and haven't had a problem.
My advice is to get the RE kit, but get the adjustable front control arms, and pay extra and up grade the shocks, the Deuscht-tech(sp?) shocks that come with the kit are way too soft, extremely wallowy. I felt car sick after driving around with these shocks for a couple of days, so I got a set of Rancho RS9000's, and I love em'.

The only other kit I would recommend for the ZJ is a long-arm set-up, but your talking some serious bones for one of those.

BTW, where are you getting your RE from? e-mail me and I'll give you a few more pointers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Geeesh!!! Does no one know how to use the "search" function?

The "problem" is not with the QuadraTrack system (NP/NV249 TC). The issue is with the front CV driveshaft!! I think front CV driveshafts only began to show up in mid '96. If you have a CV driveshaft AND experience vibrations, then replace it!! It only costs ~$200.

David

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I replace the CV, will that take care of everything I need to do to make my Jeep be able to handle the lift?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts