Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college studen and need to watch my wallet and am interested what is the best formula for lifting. Also some info on the advantages of Adjustable coil over spacers and the differences between a supension lift and a body lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Front to rear swap. Putting the front springs in to replace the rear, then buying 3" lift springs for the front. You'll need new shocks, and trackbars will be in you not too distant future, but hey, you said cheap not perfect!! ;)

You won't find a body lift for a ZJ (Unibody frames so theres no way to raise the body off of the frame - what s BL does) A suspension lift does just that - it raises the vehicle by increasing suspension height. On a Grand, this is accomplished by budget boosts (coil spring spacers), larger springs, or a combination of the two.

The adjustable coil spring spacers are pretty good for trimming out your existing lift for HD bumpers, winches, roof racks, etc., but I wouldn't see any harm in using it as a lift.
I hope this answers some of your questions. Good luck on your decision! :hilift:

Hank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i could achieve a 3" lift with:
2 new springs in front
2 original front springs in back
4 new shocks

do I need lower control arms or track bars?
please correct me if my understanding is wrong. Also I'm not really interested in running a bigger tire.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It'll look pretty sick without some bigger tires. IMHO
You'll need to look into some adjustable track bars, but you'll be ok with your stock control arms. Check here for info on making your own adjustable track bar:
http://www.nagca.com/Tech/adjustablereartrackbar.htm

You could do a bracket in the rear, but I'd go adjustable (stronger and no chance of breaking stuff) You could probably also use this method up front, but I just found a used Rubicon Express Adjustable trackbar for my front. Three hundred bucks is going to be gone after springs and decent shocks. You could probably make both of your own trackbars for around another hunderd. This is including new heim joints and the labor/machine time to have someone drill, tap and weld the sleeves onto you existing bars. (Read the info in the link) After that, you'd be set for a while, but I'd really suggest some bigger tires. If not, what's the point of the lift?
Hank

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help and yeah i agree on the point of the need for bigger tires its just that with my funds, i need to do one thing at a time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On 2002-03-05 18:39, galian_beast wrote:
well thanks, but I can spend probably about $300.
$300 will easily get you budget boost spacers and longer shocks. I ran this setup with some 31x10.50 tires and it worked fine until I installed a "real" lift a couple years ago.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, I know all about having a limited amount of money, I'm also a college student. Do you have a 96 ZJ Limited? That is what I have and you have to be careful lifting with Quadra-Trac. I have not gotten a lift or made my own yet, I am still looking into it. I don't know about you, but I have to spend a lot of time on the interstate driving home from school on the weekends and during breaks. I have been advised by several people that with Q-Trac, there will be driveline vibration, that was with a 3.5" lift which is what I am looking at. I was also told that it is a very good idea to go ahead and get a new steering stab. when you get bigger tires. Goodluck, let me know what you decide.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
F>R swap

RE 3.5" front springs (2)- $120
Rustys shocks (4)- $120
RE rear trackbar bracket- $50
Drill new hole on axle side front trackbar- free
That will net you about 3.5" of lift and you should be ok on vibes. Each Jeep is different so don't let anyone scare you about the quadratrac stuff. You won't know until you lift it.
Nathan

·
Registered
726 Posts
would it be wise to use the up country front springs in the rear for the f/r swap?

or should i look for a softer spring?

also how do you like your rustys shocks?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could get a 3" lift with UC springs all around and a 2" BB. The UC's will give you an 1"+2"BB=3" of lift. I myself already have the Tera BB and have the UC springs on order with Nick at Kolak.com You'll want to get new shocks too. OME "Old Man EMU" are good and is what i'm running now. Now for the kicker....OME also has a 1" list springs which cost more with better flexing. Or stock UC springs for less money and average flex. So it's actually a give and take. Oh yeah, get a OME SS too. It'll help the ride and feel of your steering.

Good Luck! :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts