Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 04 limited WJ with 4.7 and all stock exhaust. When the suspension was also stock I noticed the upper passenger side control arm just barley rub on the catalytic converter during flex drop of the axle.

Now I have a 3" lift with adjustable upper and lower control arms and my much beefier, thicker upper CA contacts the cat so much that it actually stops the axle drop.

Any one else have this issue? To me it just seems like it was built with lack of clearance but idk maybe something is tweaked on my Jeep.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi there grandmallcrawl!
Hmm....that is something, I've never seen that before. What is the diameter of that CAT its hitting? Also what is the distance between that cat and the oil pan? I'll compare your findings to my grand.

-JB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grand Cherokee's manufactured pior to 05/02/2003 have 2 smaller catalytic-converters before the Y-pipe and a third catalytic-converter after the Y-pipe. Grand Cherokee's manufactured after 05/02/2003 have 2 LARGER catalytic-converters and NO third catalytic-converter. Which system does your Jeep have?

My 04 WJ(manufactured 2004) needed a whole new catalytic-converter assembly when I bought it, which I had a local shop replace with a Magnaflow unit(part #23178). My OEM control arms would contact the new Magnaflow caalytic-converter at full droop, just as yours are doing now. However, I'm not sure if they were hitting my OEM catalytic-converter.

Maybe the larger cats are the problem?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Grand Cherokee's manufactured pior to 05/02/2003 have 2 smaller catalytic-converters before the Y-pipe and a third catalytic-converter after the Y-pipe. Grand Cherokee's manufactured after 05/02/2003 have 2 LARGER catalytic-converters and NO third catalytic-converter. Which system does your Jeep have?

My 04 WJ(manufactured 2004) needed a whole new catalytic-converter assembly when I bought it, which I had a local shop replace with a Magnaflow unit(part #23178). My OEM control arms would contact the new Magnaflow caalytic-converter at full droop, just as yours are doing now. However, I'm not sure if they were hitting my OEM catalytic-converter.

Maybe the larger cats are the problem?
Ah! Good to know. I bet that is the issue. From the pictures those cats did look quite a bit larger then mine. A lift kit that would clear them would be the 3-Link Front Long Arm Kit from Iron Rock Offroad. There are no upper arms to worry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few weeks ago I installed the Core4x4 Tier-4 control arms, like what OP has, and there does seem to be a good bit more clearance than I had with the factory arm. I havent had a chance to chekc the clearance at full droop yet, but I'll be doing so at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts