Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: Recently While going highway speed 60-75 mph in my 96 ZJ with RE 3.5 lift, when I switch lanes I feel the vehicle sway to the point I have to slow down. It happens when I switch lanes and start to straighten the steering wheel out it feels as if I over corrected and I get a swaying motion. This is a new problem since I have had the lift on since 2004.

Recent work: Just recently, I had all new shocks replaced (bilsteins 5100), new tie rod ends and drag link, new steering stabilizer and new tires. The issue did not arise until I had an alignment done when I got the new tires (32 in Kumhos)

Searches: I have read that possible problems could cause this:
Tire pressures: tired airing up and down... slight change but still sways
Loose track bar bolts Frt and Rear: Everything is tight
Loose bolt in steering: everything is tight
Shocks: new and bolted down tight
Tires: balance and running straight

Only thing I can think of is the alignment may have been done incorrectly. I tried a different shop since they had installed my tires and this tech didn't give me a read out of what was changed. So I will be going back to the guys who usually do my alignment who have never failed me before.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Are your sway bars connected (dumb question I know, but if not, then that could be your prob).

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would def. get align. rechecked! (4 wheel) also not sure which kumo you are running, but new tires especially agressive ones with deep tread have a tendency to sway as the tread flexes when new. I had the same issue on an old toyota of mine when I put new uniroyal mt's on it. After a few thousand miles it subsided. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Maybe rear control arm bushings? If going bad they might be allowing some rear-steer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just throwing this out there....Could this be confused with a "tight" steering box? Some allignment techs mess with the adjustment when they shouldn't. If too tight, it can make you over correct when steering.

Donald

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the steering box is 4 months old and the tech never lifted the hood, so he didn't touch the steering box.

Good thought though, may help someone else out there. thanks for your input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar problem a few months ago. My first thought to the problem was a loose bolt so i went through and checked all the bolts only to find that some how the rear factory track bar bracket had broke and wasnt holding the track bar drop bracket in tightly, cure was to basically fab up a new track bar bracket system that i welded arounded the factory and the bolted the track bar to that, took away all of the sway i was having on the interstate, hope that helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. The issue has been fixed. Part 1 was the heim joint on my front adjustable track bar was worn out and there was a bit of play, so replaced that with new heim joint; Part 2: re-check of alignment to find out toe was way off, so clearly the previous alignment was done incorrectly. So result, ZJ tracks well and no longer sways. I hope this can be of some help to others. Enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts