1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the search, but no help.
I have a '95 ZJ with the 5.2 and my problem is the air conditioner does not
work.
I have checked all the relay's and fuse's and all are good.
The heater works in all positions and the A/C blows at all settings but the compressor NEVER kicks on.
How do i troubleshoot my compressor to make sure that is the problem?

·
Registered
214 Posts
it probably doesnt have any freon in it. either that of there is a short somwhere in the circuit that is causing the compressor to not get the signal to turn on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
it's a long shot but try and discconnect your battery for a few seconds/minutes to re-boot the computer. "maybe" it is in a glitch. happens to me on my camaro now and then.

compressor could be shot or just not getting the signal to turn on.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
There is a pressure switch on the line that if there is no or low refrigerant then it will not allow the compressor to kick on. There is a way that mechanics do it at garages to check the compressor by hot wiring the low pressure switch with a jumper cable to the batter and thus allowing the compressor to kick on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There is a pressure switch on the line that if there is no or low refrigerant then it will not allow the compressor to kick on. There is a way that mechanics do it at garages to check the compressor by hot wiring the low pressure switch with a jumper cable to the batter and thus allowing the compressor to kick on.
a pair of small needle nose plyers works well for jumping the terminals together. thats what i usually use at work if i can.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That the same problem....good pressure in the system and good power. Ended up being the A/C compressor clutch. I changed out both, compressor and clutch as a package deal instead of just changing out the clutch. That gave me a good warranty. --Jim

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm having the same problem but I know my compressor works.

If I switch the A/C on every setting works but the clutch doesn't engage so no cold (as cold as jeeps get:cool:) so I checked the relay and when I removed it I used the wiper motor relay and still no go but the wiper worked so relays are good, when I put the relay back in, just as it touched the terminals in the fuse box the clutch engaged for a split second :confused:
So I stood for a second just touching the relay to the terminals and it would kcik in for a split second, now if I shake the relay like a lunatic the clutch will engage with the constant shaking but as soon as I stop the clutch stops. Sounds like a short to me but how do I trouble shoot from here. I've done the jump start from the battery to the pressure switch test, works a treat. Also used contact cleaner on the relay pins and the terminals in the fuse box NOW WHAT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The relay is just a magnetic jumper so by shaking it you are just completing the circuit. You said you checked the pressure in the system? Just because it has refrigerant in it doesn't mean its the right amount.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The relay is just a magnetic jumper so by shaking it you are just completing the circuit. You said you checked the pressure in the system? Just because it has refrigerant in it doesn't mean its the right amount.
Oh, so maybe I need more then you think? I am clueless when it comes to A/C works.
Thanks Andy

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok so yesterday me and a mate pulled the relay box to chexk the recievers are good for the A/C relay, they are fine. We jumped both poles in the pressure switch and it started the clutch so I believe if it isn't the pressure in the system then I need a new pressure switch, is that right? This is so annoying as it is getting hot here already (30 deg C yesterday) so I hope I can fix it before summer comes (50 deg C + 90% hum):eek:
Wish me luck guys:D

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Ok so yesterday me and a mate pulled the relay box to chexk the recievers are good for the A/C relay, they are fine. We jumped both poles in the pressure switch and it started the clutch so I believe if it isn't the pressure in the system then I need a new pressure switch, is that right?
That's thinking with the ol' noggin. Nicely done.

·
Registered
341 Posts
hey guys i know this thread is old but ive got the same problem (ac not kicking on) i just put about half a can of freon in it today and it didnt work. can you guys clearify what switch your jumping and how your doing it? is it the little two wire one on the passenger side of the compressor or the one on the evaporator? and are you just jumping between the two wires or are you running a wire from the positive on the battery into one of the sides?

·
Registered
908 Posts
We jumped both poles in the pressure switch and it started the clutch so I believe if it isn't the pressure in the system then I need a new pressure switch, is that right?
NO.

It means that you don't have enough refrigerant (or too much) in your system.

The switch is keeping your compresser from running and being damaged.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i looked and theres an adjustment screw on that switch. i played with that a little and the compressor kicked on (i knew i had enough freon to make it kick on before i messed with it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts