Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I'm a brand new user, I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (just over 150k miles) for my sons who just got their licenses. They're thrilled and so am I!

The very first thing one of them did was drive it to test it out. Well, being curious, while he was driving it he switched the modes from auto to sand, snow, etc. Then it started to lurch in tight turns and while stopping. I didn't need to get mad at him because he is so upset he could throw up. It was stupid. I turned off the car, changed the mode back to automatic and it seemed better. Now I'm paranoid he broke something in the transmission.

I have no idea what to do or where to take it. Are his actions something that would hurt/ruin the transmission?

Sorry if I used the wrong words or phrases, English is my third language.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sounds like it was in a true 4WD mode.
If it's good now I wouldnt worry too much about it. When something goes catastrophically wrong with a transfer case, it doesn't usually fix itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, it's not all good now. I just drove it onto the highway and it failed to shift into a higher gear. I stuck to 55mph with the engine at 5000rpms - too high. You could hear that it needed to shift gears... it just wouldn't.

·
Registered
2018 Summit, 5.7L Hemi
1 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not all good now. I just drove it onto the highway and it failed to shift into a higher gear. I stuck to 55mph with the engine at 5000rpms - too high. You could hear that it needed to shift gears... it just wouldn't.
Sounds like maybe you're transfer case in still low range (although you probably wouldn't get to 55 in low range)?

Do you have a button that says "4WD LO" on your console to the left of the sand, mud, snow options, and is the indicator light on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like maybe you're transfer case in still low range (although you probably wouldn't get to 55 in low range)?

Do you have a button that says "4WD LO" on your console to the left of the sand, mud, snow options, and is the indicator light on?
YES!!! This was the answer. I figured it out shortly after this post - my dear dear son was excited about the car and was messing around while sitting in the driver's seat. We had quite the talk later.

Thank you so much for your reply, it's great to know there are good humans out there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts