Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with an automatic transmission, 4.0.

It has approximately 185,000 miles on it and I've been none to kind to her. However, the past couple years I've had some minor, what I believe to be, transmission issues. Having difficulties shifting up or down shifting. RPMs would get ridiculously high before it would shift. The quick fix was to get about 35-40mph and let it coast until it finally down shifted. Once it got past that initial shift, it'd be pretty much fine. Another issue is, prior to flushing the transmission, was when entering passing gear sometimes it would start cutting out.

Flushing it helped, but never got rid of the problem. Just recently, for the first time since I've owned it, I heard a grinding noise when it tried to shift. It lasted about 0.5 seconds and was around 50-60mph when it did it, usually on an incline. It only did it a few times on a 120+ mile trip, and it happened consistently in the same situation (shifting when accelerating some on a hill).

I cannot really afford to get a new transmission, and I don't even know if that's what it is since I am hardly mechanically inclined. But that's what I think it is so far. What do you guys suggest I do? Is it the transmission, or do you think it is something else?

If there's anymore info you need, don't hesitate to ask for it.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Another hundred or so miles and it grinded a couple times again. There hasn't been any other noticeable issues with it, performance-wise or other.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran the check engine diagnostic and it reported nothing back to me. The transmission fluid level is fine and doesn't smell burnt or anything. It had a greenish tint and clearish color to it, definitely wasn't black.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ran the check engine diagnostic and it reported nothing back to me. The transmission fluid level is fine and doesn't smell burnt or anything. It had a greenish tint and clearish color to it, definitely wasn't black.

Ok if im understanding this right your saying your tranny fluid is greenish tint? THATS NOT RIGHT. its pinkish red. if its green you have a real prob.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also try running a tranny cleaner through it. I was having a prob with my tranny not wanting to shift and it would hold till 5K and I would let off and it would shift after a min. It would really only do it when it was cold. A buddy that works at the Jeep dealership hooked me up with this cleaner and ran it throught to clean the valve body. I ran it for about a week and a half and then had the whole tranny flushed and it seemed to work and it went away but now is kinnda coming back.

That noise your talking about doesnt sound good. You might need a new tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll double check the color but I could have sworn it had a greenish tint to it. I'll check out some cleaner and see if that helps, then flush it again. I'd rather spend money on that than risk spending several hundred more on rebuilding/replacing the transmission.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts