Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9. Owned for 8 years. Tad bit over 160,000 miles. 4 speed tranny I believe.

About a year ago I notice transmission seemed to be reluctant to shift out of 1st into 2nd. I discovered that if I watched, on rpm gauge, rpm's get up to a bit over 2,000 that if I took my foot off the gas pedal for a second or a second and a half the transmission would shift into 2nd by itself. I could see rpm's dropping down to around 1,100 to 1,200. I could then gently depress the gas pedal and proceed up to speed. The transmission then shifts up through the remaining gears with no problems. It also down shifts with no issues. The only problem is it needs a little help getting out of 1st, or low, into 2nd gear. I have checked the tranny fluid. It seems to indicate full. Probably needs to be changed though. I retired May 2020. I don't have to go to work anymore. I don't drive the Jeep much now. Thinking of trying to sell it.

Any thoughts on what the issue may be?

Glenn

·
Registered
71 Posts
Start by doing the oil and filter change.
People give up on Jeep's everyday because they think something is wrong with the transmission when all they really need to do is the required maintenance.

Reactions: 53ryder

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you're probably correct. Guess I better suck it up and get over to our local tranny shop. Thanks for advice!

·
Super Moderator
580 Posts
Requires an oil and filter change and if its a 42RE/RH then the front and rear brake bands will require adjusting (my 42 in my 4.0 has now covered 198,000 miles).
The only other fault would be the shift solenoid but that normally makes it pull away in second gear and give poor cold weather changes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take a look at the video posted by “Barricade Garage” on YouTube

In the video, he shows how easy it is to change the solenoids and spring to improve shifting on his ZJ.

Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts