Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, one last question:

I've just been informed that my tranny (4spd OD auto) in my 95 zj is more or less toast. I brought it in because it slips between 2nd & 3rd, and been getting worse. $2500 to purchase and install a reman unit. That seems like a lot.

Other options?

Buying used? - probably save money, but these things are notoriously bad. I could probably install it myself.

Convert to 5 speed? That would be nice, is this possible? I have a bad habit of ruining auto transmissions in my lifetime.

Bite the bullet - spend $2500.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a last resort, try Lucas TransFix. I tried it and it stopped the 2-3 slip for another 6 months.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Try a filter change and flush the entire trans with a high quality ATF+4 fluid. It is worth it if it keeps you from spending $2500 on a rebuild, which by the way sounds WAY too expensive. If the flush doesn't help, find another shop to quote the rebuild.

E

·
0 Posts
That sounds unrealistic. $2500 is a Rodeo Drive/AAMCO price. Expect closer to $1500 for a complete rebuild. More importantly, if they're quoting that much it may not be needed at all.

-Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it's the 46RH, because I've got a 5.2, but I'm not totally sure.

There are limited shops here to do the rebuild, most of them with bad records at the BBB. My next stop was the dealer for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I finnaly had mine rebuit due to some bad seals, it was $1500 from the dealer. I had an extended warranty that covered it after the "30-day grace" period. I purchased the warranty as soon as I felt the trans start to slip so six monthes later the $1000 warranty paid for my $1500 rebuild.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I see that you are in Seattle. Olympic4x4 in Snohomish always has about 10 ZJ's on hand. Give them a call. They are reasonable.

M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, actually, I'm about 5 miles away from Oly4x4, but I don't want a used tranny, since they seem to be problematic anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 93 completly quit moving on me one day. Took off the pan and it appeared nobody had ever serviced the trans. With 138000 miles at the time, I bought it at 133000, the filter was pluged. New filter and fluid and ready to go. I checked with chrysler on buying a factory reman and seems the price was around 1300 if I did the swapping myself. came with 3 year waranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cherokee Kid - I know that guy in west seattle.. that is too funny, I bought a 4-speed from him about 5 years ago for a muscle car. I will see if I can dig up his number and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How do you know what transmission you have? Mine's a '96 4.0 I6. I'd like to know, I know every other detail about my Jeep except that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
btt, I should post some news on this subject.

I did a bunch of research on this problem, it appears to be fairly common for the 46rh. Here is what I have done so far, and oh by the way, the tranny now shifts better than it has in 40,000 miles - no slippage:

- Added Lucas Tranny Treatment
- R & R'd pan and changed filter
- Adjusted bands
- Replaced fluid with synthetic
- Serviced the throttle body
- Adjusted the tv cable

So far, so good. Hopefully it lasts at least another year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I did it all myself. I used Mobil 1. Amsoil is probably a better choice, but no one stocks it near me.

I've got links instructions for the TB service and the band adjustment if you want them. The torque wrench (inch pounds) for the bands will cost you at least $70.00.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts