Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a 2004 Overland (4.7L HO, of course, and about 110,000 mi) and I think I either have a slight occasional miss or maybe a tranny issue. Runnung 87 octane and things seem to be doing decent around town with an occasional downshift when slightly unexpected (even with the lightest push of the pedal), but most often, the drop in gear change happens while cruising in OD and probably while the torque converter lockup is engaged, and I don't really think it's shifting down a gear as much as it's just coming out of torque converter lockup instead. Basically just goes from about 2k RPMs to maybe 2.3k RPMS even when I am holding the pedal still. It may just be that particular RPM, but I would think that it would be comfortably in OD and have the torque conv lockup at that point while at cruising speed. My perception is that it's ok for 10-45 seconds and then something makes it kick out of lockup and you see the RPMs jump up a little. Thinking it may be a spark plug with an intermittant miss doing this but the engine seems awefully smooth considering, but heck this engine/transmission combo is smoother than anything I have ever driven, so the tranny may soak up that miss better than I would expect, or maybe I just need to have the tranny serviced. Just wanting some help pointing me in the right direction. Around town the unexpected gear change stuff doesn't seem to occur, but when I went into some high elevation mountain snow driving the other day it seemed to drop down gears more than what I expected, but that may have been due to the elevation change and lower air density etc and I kind of expect that, but not the other stuff while crusing flat ground in top gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to provide anymore info, please let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also meant to mention that I am not particularly familiar with the type of coolant system that the 4.7 HO has but I see that bleed/burp allen bolt and it made me wonder, is there any chance that this thing could be a little low on coolant and it be pushing coolant through and get to a void where it may be low and it (the water pump) kind of "cavitatate" (hope that's the right spelling, or basically spin out in the air/lack of coolant) for a short period of time? Just trying to go through all the thoughts in my mind that it could be.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any chance this could be the Throttle Position Sensor ( TPS ) causing this instead?

Any chance this could be the Throttle Position Sensor ( TPS ) causing this instead? Looking like this issue may be very similar to what the TPS does from some similar posts I have seen. Maybe mine is just not quite as bad as some other ones yet. Come to think of it, I have had idles as high as 1k rpm and as low at 500 rpm.
Thanks

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Was it the TPS...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.