Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult of trails do we want? Body darnage or gravel road?

The trails here a fairly short in length but trying to get 15-20 ZJs through them may be quite an event. Do we want to run moderate trails on some days and split into different groups for others?

Also anyone local who would like to help as trail guides get in touch with me.

Nathan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NBaldwin on 2002-02-03 00:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Nate,

During GSNW 2k, the plan was to split the group in two for the third day - one group to run Shaw lake (an easy to moderate trail,) and the other group to run Highrider (a moderate to hard trail.) The trailheads were within two miles of each other and we would have been in CB range the whole time. The reason it didn't happen was there were only six(?) of us who showed up for the third day.

The middle day that year we ran Walker Valley. The trail system there offers plenty of difficulty, with plenty of bypasses for those so inclined.

This past year, we did the same thing on the second day - split into two groups, one for the more hardcore, and one for those less inclined.

I think this has worked out real well, and at least don't see any reason not to. I know I for one will not be happy with forest roads - ya know what I mean?

Jay

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree with Jay. It is easier to split in two groups, plus gives everyone an option depending on how comfortable they are.

Gravel roads should be kept to a minimum though :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nate, depending on the weekend, I'd be willing to help out or guide. I know the trails pretty well. Shoot me an email and let me know.

Tracy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you found us Tracy. I was hoping that you would lead one of the days. Let's go up and start thinking about trail selection soon. Email me.
Nathan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nathon, I'll help on Sunday, guide that is, if you need me, you know I have only a little old XJ..lol Let me know.
Jaye

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mohadeab said:
Nathon, I'll help on Sunday, guide that is, if you need me, you know I have only a little old XJ..lol Let me know.
Jaye
Thanks for the offer Jaye but this is a Grand Cherokee Only trail run. You are welcome to come as a passenger. ;)

Check with our friends over at NAXJA for a XJ Only trail run. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
Mohadeab said:
Jaye
Thanks for the offer Jaye but this is a Grand Cherokee Only trail run. You are welcome to come as a passenger. ;)

Check with our friends over at NAXJA for a XJ Only trail run. :thumbsup:
Don't see why he can't take his Cherokee on a prerun....

Jaye...If you're looking for a ZJ, I'm selling mine....

·
Registered
612 Posts
What is the game plan?
Run trails on Friday Saturday and Sunday, or just Saturday and Sunday?

Driving up from the Bay Area, Cali, I have no interest in running fire trails. Zippo. You guys are putting the GS together, so it's your call. I'm fairly certain we'll have at least 6 ZJs willing to run difficult trails every day; I know of four coming from Cali for sure.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
don't expect the kind of rocks that you see in cali. there are some difficult trails in tsf but not like what you would find on the 'con or arizona. most are very tight with trees and have ruts, roots, and rocks. hopefully they will keep most entertained.
nathan

·
Registered
612 Posts
NP Nathan,
having grown up in the south Puget Sound WA area, I know what to expect.
Chris and I are just chiming in on the 'no firetrails or gravel roads please'.
:grin:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris L - lots of people run mtrs here. it will be dry for the most part.
i will post some pics of some of the trails so you can get an idea what they are like.
nathan

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nate, youre gonna have to send Chris and I a map also...

Looks like I will be coming up also we will probably caravan up there and try to pick up any other stragglers you can get ...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Chris_L said:
...so swampers may work better than mtr's?
Some of the big dogs up here are just getting around to trying MT/R's for the first time. I'm hearing nothing but positive from those who are trying them: comments like, "That's a radial !?" etc. Only time will tell though...

Jay

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are a few pics. hope they show up. rockcrawler sometimes limits the bandwidth.

nathan

·
Registered
414 Posts
What's the height limit on that tree??? I might have to leave my roofrack off if we go that way.

I would rather take it off, than let the tree do it. Although the tree would be faster....

M.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i haven't seen anyone make it under the tree. there is a bypass. if you are short enough to make it under the tree, you are damn lucky to have made it that far on the trail.
nathan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts