Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there
i was wondering if anyone could help me with a issue that ive got concerning low end torque
I have a 2001 4.0 wj with a 42re transmission. It shifts fine, besides for an ocassionaly hard up shift from 1st to 2nd when i let off the gas. My only gripe is that it seems to have no real balls offroad. Going up a steep hill in 4 hi it doesnt have enough power to spin the tires, and the engine stays at like 4,000 rpm or maybe 3,500(not positive). This is even more appearent in reverse. In 4 lo it is alright but it just seems that it should be able to at least spin the tires. I know its no v8 but I just feel like it should have more torque then it does. I dont know if its related or not but about a year ago i found a snap ring in the tranny pan. I know this is not good but its been a year so i figure what the hell use this one till it finally goes.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Let us know when you break an axle trying to speed up a steep hill trying to spin your tires, even better yet if you get it on video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no im not trying to spin my tires. It just seems that when Going up a steep hill that there wasn't enough power to move foward. Engine was floored yet it stayed at 2,500 rpm and wouldnt go anywhere. If the hill was to steep wouldnt you spin your tires instead of just being at a stand still with nothing moving. and like i said it is more noticeable in reverse. Sometimes when on a slight hill I have to put it in 4 lo to even back up(4 high doesnt seem to have any torque)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.