Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Top & Bottom Ball Joints Dealer wants a fortune to do these for me 8 to 10 hours labour + the parts
How much of a Nightmare Job is this
if I have the C press will life be sweet.
I have seen the press kit going for about $80
ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I can do the job myself in about 1.5 hrs per side. I don't even use a ball joint press anymore - just a BFH (and an angle grinder since I went to offset ball joints that need a tack to keep them in place.)

If you've never torn the front end apart before, know what you're doing with a set of hand tools, and own a torque wrench, go for it. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time.

Jay

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ball joints

Where are you located? Find a realistic shop. Motors time is under two hours a side. warranty pays 1.3 per side. I can do 'em in about 1/2 hour per side. Call Chrysler and complain about that dealer. And the BBB. What a bunch of morons.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can do 'em in 5 minutes per side....well I guess we're getting carried away now. :smile:

Harbor Frieght has a press kit for $50 that would be handy to have. If you do have to pound them out be sure to support the yoke as close to the joint as possible.

Take your time and you'll be fine. If I can replace a pair in the parking lot of a motel you can do yours in your garage.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
if they have never been out then they might be real tough. i have mine replaced when i put in the hp30. they had to heat and grind one out as the press wouldn't do it. good luck
nathan

·
Registered
179 Posts
MCracco said:
I can do 'em in 5 minutes per side....well I guess we're getting carried away now. :smile:

Harbor Frieght has a press kit for $50 that would be handy to have. If you do have to pound them out be sure to support the yoke as close to the joint as possible.

Seriously, I've been a Jeep tech since 81 and my best time is all four in 40mins. ALSO we are talking BALL joints, not U-JOINTS so dont spend too much time trying to support that yoke ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
luvmyjeeps said:
Seriously, I've been a Jeep tech since 81 and my best time is all four in 40mins. ALSO we are talking BALL joints, not U-JOINTS so dont spend too much time trying to support that yoke ;)
Dude, if you can do do 4 ball joints in 40 minutes then you are on my pit crew! Seriously, I spent a couple hours on my first and only pair but I was proud as a peacock when I was done.

If you pick the axle up by the diff (or even LCA bracket) then start pounding on the ball joint, there is spring in the axle tube that softens the blows. Place a jack stand under the yoke and the energy stays where you want it. And your axle tubes will thank you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
JayH said:
I can do the job myself in about 1.5 hrs per side. I don't even use a ball joint press anymore - just a BFH (and an angle grinder since I went to offset ball joints that need a tack to keep them in place.)

If you've never torn the front end apart before, know what you're doing with a set of hand tools, and own a torque wrench, go for it. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time.

Jay
Really Jay? What are you doing this weekend??

·
Registered
179 Posts
MCracco said:
Dude, if you can do do 4 ball joints in 40 minutes then you are on my pit crew! Seriously, I spent a couple hours on my first and only pair but I was proud as a peacock when I was done.
Well, it helps to have a lift, air tools and a ball joint press. I've done more of these than I can count.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts