Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 grand cherokee,everything is bone stock,first thing i did wasreplace the front track bar as it was into death wobbles,I also replaced the steering stabilizer.shocks appear brand new, Had an aligment done,mechanic inspected all components and didnt find anything that needed replacing.I did notice there is no rear sway bar. I drive a winding mountain road everyday with lots of trucks breathing down my neck ,which means I do it at speeds between 50 and 65 mph.the body has so much roll in the corners its scary. i don,t plan on off roading other than fire roads.
i,m looking for advice on how to set up the suspension,do i nead a rear sway bar? if so do i need an aftermarket rear as well as front?should i change springs or shocks?
thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
567 Posts
A rear sway bar will help loads and most likely the coils and shocks are past their best buy date as coils are prong to sag as they get older.
Try looking at Rock Auto for a rear sway bar kit as I live in the UK and order my parts from them :)
As a note both my lifted ZJ and stock WJ do sway going around anything sharpish above 50MPH ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shocks would definitely be the first suspect. Start with a suspension refresh to make sure everything is up to snuff before jumping into modifications...A Grand Cherokee in like-new condition should be a pretty comfortable highway cruiser.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should have a rear swaybar. PO must have taken it off. Not safe IMO. Also, when I upgraded to a set of Old Man Emu shocks and springs (medium duty) my ZJ rode flat as a pancake and passengers commented on how it stayed so level. Eventually it softened up but still a major improvement over stock.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It should have a rear sway bar so that should be first on the list.
Next I highly recommend urethane bushings for all sway bars. Inexpensive and huge improvement.
I think that will make a huge improvement.
If you want to swap the springs, aftermarket oem should be pretty affordable. Might find some used take offs. OME does make heavy duty springs at stock or minimal lift.
Shocks help with bumps but very little on sway as that's not their job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been rebuilding a 97 Orvis the past 6 months. I bought some Explorer Pro Comp 924515 ES9000 Shocks thinking they were OK. When I put them on there was too much body roll for me. I looked around and found that Monroe shocks firmed up the ride. I installed them and it is now the stock ride, no more excessive body roll.

FYI I had changed out the entire front suspension including steering and ball joints prior to shocks.

Good Luck,
Cdawg

·
Registered
671 Posts
If anyone wants to improve the road handling, switch to urethane bushings (what sports cars usually have from factory or added to race cars) and find the largest sway bars possible.
Shocks will firm or soften the ride, slow the rolling, but the springs and sway bars control to rolling.
I think at stock height there are only oem end links available but the body bushings will make a big difference alone.
Often the extended end links for lifts will come with urethane bushings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts