Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/forum/images/smiles/Anyone /forum/images/smiles/run /forum/images/smiles/the /forum/images/smiles/Tom /forum/images/smiles/Woods /forum/images/smiles/tail /forum/images/smiles/shaft /forum/images/smiles/conversion /forum/images/smiles/kit /forum/images/smiles/for /forum/images/smiles/their /forum/images/smiles/NV/NP /forum/images/smiles/242 /forum/images/smiles/transfer /forum/images/smiles/cases? /forum/images/smiles/ /forum/images/smiles/How /forum/images/smiles/was /forum/images/smiles/the /forum/images/smiles/install? /forum/images/smiles/ /forum/images/smiles/How /forum/images/smiles/well /forum/images/smiles/does /forum/images/smiles/it /forum/images/smiles/work /forum/images/smiles/out /forum/images/smiles/for /forum/images/smiles/you? /forum/images/smiles/ /forum/images/smiles/Comments? /forum/images/smiles/ /forum/images/smiles/Did /forum/images/smiles/you /forum/images/smiles/get /forum/images/smiles/the /forum/images/smiles/$200 /forum/images/smiles/reimbursement?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looks like you posted this when there was an upgrade taking place on the site. Opps!

As a general rule of thumb this kit is not needed on the Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't worry about spending your money on this item until you get into some very serious lift.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Tom Woods setup is actually a Currie kit, as far as I know

I got mine from Currie.....great kit.....no problems..

·
Registered
657 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
Looks like you posted this when there was an upgrade taking place on the site. Opps!

As a general rule of thumb this kit is not needed on the Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't worry about spending your money on this item until you get into some very serious lift.
How much lift would you say is the limit, before you need the tailshaft? I'm at 4" and soon to be at 5.75".

·
Registered
688 Posts
Trance if you have adjustable rear arms, you could go to about 5" or so, however the biggest advantage (other than NO driveline vibes) is that if you break a rear u-joint in the driveshaft, you can remove the shaft and limp home in FWD only...

if the u-joint in the rear shaft busts with the standard setup, you remove the shaft and all of the ATF fluid will pour out of the transfercase..

WHEn I installed mine, I immediately noticed smoother accel (no vibes) and I upgraded to a stronger driveshaft, no kinda piece of mind.

I would Highly recommend it, through Currie it is only about $250 plus the shaft...definitley a good investment

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks alot for the advice! I still have the 249 :( I know of few places to get a 231 or 242 with the right shafts, but is there anywhere you know of that sells these with the tailshaft complete? Basically, I have a huge build up with alot of custom work ahead of me. I just want to get the driveline where it needs to be, before I go over 4" and bigger than 33"s.

·
Registered
312 Posts
tranceZJ said:
Thanks alot for the advice! I still have the 249 :( I know of few places to get a 231 or 242 with the right shafts, but is there anywhere you know of that sells these with the tailshaft complete?
JB Conversions used to be the place to go for this, but they are out of stock and when I called them, they said they may not be going back to selling T-Cases since they had their prices doubled by NV gear.

Man-Trans (1-877-626-8726 ask for Chris Perkins) will build a T-Case to your specifications, their best price seems to be on a 231 with Advance Adapters tail shaft, they will warranty it for 12 months/unlimited miles. They will assemble other t-cases with other kits, but you may have to order the tailshaft kit yourself and send it to them.

Disclaimer: I have not actually used any of their products. I've got a 231 on order, but have not received it yet.

Another source is George at TCU, I don't have his number handy, but a lot of people have gotten cases from him in the past.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, this was an ancient post, I don't even remember this one.
I'm visiting back again from JU, getting tired of everyone b*tching and fussing and fighting. It gets old.
I'll be doing an RE 4.5 on mine this summer and I want to do it right. Also I may later go up to about ~6-6.5 later on so I want to definitely make sure I do it right. I don't want any vibes.
So yeah, about how far up would I go before needing a SYE kit for my 242?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts