Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the RE 3.5" lift on my 96 zj. It looks pretty stupid sitting on factory tires though so I am looking for advice on my tire purchase. I have looked into 31/11/16 Thornbirds because they are so darn cool looking. Anyone have an opinion about them???

G

·
yea...i have an opinion on them...they suck!!! they look cool but are not good off road(center tread slicks up and the lugs spin your down)and they ride like hell. if you want a cool looking tire that tears it up in the mud and also does well on the street go get you a set of 31x10.50 or 31x12.50 Pro-Comp Mud Terrains or Xterrains(Xterrains ony come in sizes 12.50 wide). And if you want a tire made by Interco don't get the Thornbirds; instead, get the SSR's. They are much better tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
CodemanX. I am going to be in your situation soon, probably going to put on a 3.5" RE lift on my 96ZJ, but have to save up money. I would stay away from Thornbirds, I knew a guy that had them once and he didn't like them either. Let me know how you like that lift. How much did you end up paying for it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the lift. I bought the superflex version for $930-ish. The only complaints I have are it doesn't come with a new front track bar or a track bar relocation bracket and the instructions would be more understandable if they included pictures. If you want my advice, go ahead and get their adjustable front track bar before you start. I had to drill a hole and move the stock trak bar myself, and it still bangs on the bracket. I am now saving to get an adjustable track bar. The install was almost easy. The tough parts were getting the pasenger side front spring in (required spring compressors), getting the track bar bolt out of the rear (lots of wd40 and patience), and installing the top screw in the driver-side front shock (plenty of cussing, beer and more patience). I haven't taken it off-road yet due to my tire issues but it does well on-road so far. Over-all it wasn't hard. You will need a good socket set ,some open-end wrenches, a drill, 5/16" bit, torx heads (55, 50, and 45 if I remember right), hammer (for getting the metal guides into the shock bushings (real fun)), floor jack, jack stands and a buddy to talk to. I was able to "rent" everything I didn't have from AutoZone. I talked to one guy about installing my lift for me, he wanted $325. I never found a part of the install worth that much. I live in Dallas and can help if you are near. On to tires, I have always like the way the thornbirds look. Sound stupid? Here in Texas we have much more mud than rocks. I get the impression that most people on this site are rock-crawlers instead of mud-bugs and that the thornbirds may not be a good rock tire. Fine with me, they look like a good sloppy gumbo mud tire.

G

·
Mickey Thompson's are also very questionable tires. Now they come in several different tread patterns, so which one are you talking about? I have run the Baja Belted's and the sucked. I hear the same thing about the Baja Claws, etc. Now a Mickey usually pulls pretty well off-road and they also ride very well. However, the big downside is that fact that they wear out VERY quickly. After 8K miles the tread was on the wear bar in some arts of the tire. I am telling you all, if you want to get an all round tire get Pro-Comp or BFG!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure what tires I will be going with yet, I'm still looking. I'm in NC and most of my 4wheeling is in the mud and on the beach (even though the beach is not too much to work through). My problem is that I am on the road most of the time and I can't afford to wear a nice mud tire down in a short time period. I'll let you know if anything catches my eyes. Keep in mind what these other people have said, I have heard others say the same things about the tires you are looking at. Good luck

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a set of 33 t-birds and I couldn't get the xj over 28 MPH before they shook so bad that my vision got blurry. They were not safe for the road. I personally balanced them (I own a repair shop) and one came out to 21 ounces of lead. The same rim with the 33 12.5 MTRs balanced around 5 ounces. They do look cool though. Check out the link in my sig to see the t-birds on the xj. The pics are about a year old so a lot has changed since then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. I won't get thornbirds. darnn. Hehe. Option two, Goodyear MTR's. The guy trying to sell me a set said he got 50K miles out of his. One problem, they don't make them for a 16" wheel. Well sh.t, now I have to get wheels too? I thought it was all down hill when I bought and installed the lift.....WRONG!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think 50K might be a bit optimistic. I ran a set of 32's on the wife's durango with just highway driving and they were half gone with 20k. zero offroading. It is possible I suppose. If you are looking for mileage get BFG's mt's. I put 60K on a set of 32's on 97 dakota and that included a fair number of posi tire spinning:) I now have a set of 32's BFG mt/km on the durango and they seem to be wearing as good as the old ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ended up with a set of kelly 31/10.5/16 for $100. they worked well this past weekend on my camping trip. i was surprised at how well the jeep did in the mud.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How do the those tires fit, do they scrub at all? I've got an ARB bull bar on the front, so I know they won't scrub the bumper. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah I know they will wear fast, but they look cool. I am running 33/12.50x15 boggers, after balancing them personally I got about 20 ounces of lead on one of them. More than the vibrations, the noise is much louder. Very happy wih them though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My tires fit great. I flexed the hell out of my suspension and couldn't get the tires to bottom out. Now I am wondering if I could have gone an inch larger in diameter. Anyone know if 32/11/16 will fit with the RE 3.5 lift?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Might as well get a the Budget Boost. Put you up about five or so inches without the stock isolator and fit 32's easy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have been running 31x10.50 Claw radials for more than a year now and haven't had any problem with them..They are a bit loud on the highway and growl at you when coming to a stop..otherwise they have been well worth the money..

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have been running 31x10.50 Claw radials for more than a year now and haven't had any problem with them..They are a bit loud on the highway and growl at you when coming to a stop..otherwise they have been well worth the money..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts