Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has one installed on their V8 grands? Does it actually give you the mid range HP it claims to? Pros/Cons

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 97 5.2L and I don't think there is room for a TB spacer under my hood. You may want to check your clearance and look at a bored out throttle body instead.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've heard generally good things about TB spacers, it's best to get a helix bore spacer that spins the air. AirRaid makes one, complete with helix bore tube and K&N cone for the V8 (I think). Which brings me to my next blab:

Does anyone and exactly who and what part number make a helix bore TB spacer for the ZJ I6??? Some people have suggested some sites and I've looked but could never find it. AirRaid makes them for all Jeeps EXCEPT the I6!!! I want a helix TB spacer for my I6.

·
Registered
49 Posts
poweraid makes the TB spacer for the 4.0 engine, had one on my XJ, wouldn't do it again. HP gains, what little there might actually be, are close to impossible to actually feel. all it feels like is you wasted money. The helix bore thing is a scam to get more people to buy it. What you'll end up with is an annoying whistle at certain rpms. (I dont know about the 5.2 spacer, Im only referring to the poweraid 4.0 I-6 spacer.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Poweraide spacer for your XJ, did you do spacer only or the full intake? Where you running a K&N (or similar) high-flow filter? What about your exhuast? Did you let the rest of the vehicle breathe easy?
A friend did a helix tower in his Chevy 454 truck and noticed a huge difference, and I kind of liked the whistle under low-mid RPMs, but not sure if it would get annoyting after a while. If I may ask, how much was your spacer/setup and where did you buy it?
Also did you upgrade your ignition at the same time or at least give the vehicle a tune-up?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Think about it people! just because there is a small spiral around the bore, why would the air spin? It would just flow over the grooves. The spacers seem like total BS. don't waste your money on this crud. Put $70 into a tune up or K&N filter or flowmaster muffler.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gosh, I see, so many unhappy customers, perhaps I shouldn't waste my time then.
The idea is mid to low RPM improvements because the butterfly doesn't open much, forcing the air through the spirals. As I've read (other places) when you cock it wide open no it does not spin the air.
I have the 4.0 I6 so the 5.2 won't work in mine, but thanks. If people really didn't have that much luck throwing a helix bore TB spacer in their I6 then heck with it, but I'd like to get some more input.

·
Registered
414 Posts
TB spacers were designed more for carbs. They do two things. 1. they increase the plenum volume to handle the sudden pressure drop when you romp on the pedal, and 2. Disturb the airflow to help better atomize the fuel.

The Fuel injected engines see little benefit, but I run one to increase the plenum volume for better(not much, but theorectical) throttle response.

Not really worth the money. I made my own at the machine shop at my old work, but I would never pay for one.

If you really want awesome low to mid range improvement, get a new cam. http://www.accuratepower.com has some reasonably priced grinds. I had a site for mopar performance(That might be it actually) that had some also for the 4.0L
M.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd like to see what you've got on the Mopar stuff for the I6. Mine's doing great so far at 126K but I plan to rebuild when the time comes. Accurate Power had some pretty insane stuff about the 4.0, I couldn't believe you could do so much with that engine!!! They seem nice enough but I wonder what their reputation is.. I'd sooner trust Mopar stuff than some place that hasn't been around for a while or people have complained.
If I could find a helix bore spacer for around $20 for my I6 I might consider it but usually they run $60-$80. From what you guys say apparently it's not worth it. Darn. Guess it's on to better ignition and aspiration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The MOPAR cams are "Old School" (Straight I/E durations, relatively low lift). I much more preferr the "split duration" cams listed on our site.( http://www.accuratepower.com/Jeep/Parts.html#StrokerParts ) All have been dyno tested to be compatable with the computer. I HAVE been around a while. You will have to look pretty hard to find anybody complaining about POWER. I've sold plenty of that for the 4.0. I will be dynoing a spacer eventually, untill then I am more than a bit skeptical of the claims made.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alright, I'm interested. :) When time comes to rebuild the old I6 I'll be picking up some parts there. I probably won't build a stroker motor (yeah right, I wasn't going to lift the Jeep more than 2" in the first place, now I'm going 5.5") but I definitely want to build it better. Thanks for the info, I would like ot hear of dyno testing a helix TB spacer. Never expected the discussion to go this far..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old school aint the word for it...lol...when CryCo bought AMC in 87...someone at MP thought they should start making HP parts for Jeeps...they then called all of their suppliers and asked em what they make for Jeeps...and that's what wound up in the MP catalog...none of it was engineered by Mopar...in the case of cams the old head of engineering thumbed through their main cam supplier's list of lobes...and picked a few...and threw em in the catalog...what works for drag racing V8's doesn't necessarily work for injected, low RPM inline sixes...specifically the short centers...all you'll do is throw away low end throttle response...and pick up mid range you'll never feel or use...I'd call Mike...RedEye

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedEye on 2002-03-08 14:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
227 Posts
One thing my I6 has (with a gutted cat) is low-end torque. From stop I can slowly push it to about half and sink back in the seat. Mid-range there's pretty much nothing there. Get around 3400K RPMs and higher it goes nuts. Weird. Drop-in K&N, gutted cat, Flowmaster 40 series (love the grizzled, gravelly sound myself), Accel plug wires.
I agree for crawling it's all in the low-end pedal. Passing cars down the freeway is nice when it kicks down and pulls me back in the seat at higher RPMs. Not bad for an I6 w/ 127K miles.
Someone straighten me out here, bigger exhaust pipe=higher horsepower, smaller exhaust pipe=bigger torque? Or how does that work and why?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I got sucked into this mod when I first bought my ZJ many years ago. I went with the DonAVee TBS. It may not do anything yet, people always ask about the cool looking blue ring under the hood.

Hunter

·
Registered
758 Posts
:lol: Yea I bought this spacer and it is doing its job - which I assume is creating a space between the TB and the intake manifold and looking cool. What else is it supposed to do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
rreed said:
I've heard generally good things about TB spacers, it's best to get a helix bore spacer that spins the air. AirRaid makes one, complete with helix bore tube and K&N cone for the V8 (I think). Which brings me to my next blab:

Does anyone and exactly who and what part number make a helix bore TB spacer for the ZJ I6??? Some people have suggested some sites and I've looked but could never find it. AirRaid makes them for all Jeeps EXCEPT the I6!!! I want a helix TB spacer for my I6.
I have a spacer from airRaid for my 4L. Had it for over a year. I don't know the part number off hand but I can look it up when I get home.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tornado

The tornado which is suppose to fit in the air tube is suppose to do the same thing. You can do your own research and find out what is said about them. I had a kid at the local (we lower all 4x4's and mini trucks) shop rave about it so I decided not to try it based on the crap I see come out of his shop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts