Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

481 - 500 of 509 Posts

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
I will be installing the winch soon, and thought I would pick up some 3/4 inch spacers to keep it level. Dahrkstorm shipped them to me for $27, he is great to deal with if you ever need 3/4 inch spacers.

I also received an 03 bezel from champ926. This will allow me to install the CB radio without having to slice the ash tray in half, it should look pretty clean. I'll just have to cut out the heated seat switch slots so that I can install mine. I need to dedicate some time to the jeep over the next couple of weekends.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #482 (Edited)
I had some time tonight that I was able to dedicate to the WJ, and decided to install the Uniden. I took some pics of the process:

Use a trim tool, or other flat tool, to release the clips and remove the center bezel:

I realized that I needed to remove the tray below the bezel so that it would come out. This should have been step one. Remove the tray liner, then remove two screws, and they both come out.

After the tray comes out, the bezel slips right out. You have to unplug everything. On mine, I had a light on top of the ash tray, heated seat on each side, and a cig lighter and power source on each side.

My factory bezel (woodgrain) next to the non heated seat 2003 bezel with the cubby hole.

The first thing to do was swap the switches over. I realized that all my small cutoff wheels for the dremel were gone, so I went to the slower method of heating a blade over a candle and slicing through the plastic. It took longer, but it was the tool I had. I cleaned the edges up with sand paper when I was done cutting.

Both cut:

The 03 bezel had the switch mounting screw holes, even though it didn't have the switch cut outs. Switches swapped over:

One of the power outlets on the new unit was not the same as my 99. It had two prongs, mine had 3. The 99 one is green, the donor one I swapped out and did not use was the grey one:

There was also a difference on the side...metal vs no metal:

There are two pinch clips that hold the power sockets in place. It doesn't seem like you can get the switch out without doing some damage to the little clips. I just mixed up some 2 part epoxy to help strengthen the clips and hold the sockets in place:

Then, I test fit the CB unit in the cubby. I cut the bottom back section of the cubby off, allowing for the CB to sit at an angle upward as it comes out:

Then it was time to head outside and install it. The CB wire was already run, so I just had to move it from the center console to the bezel area. I have about 18 extra inches still sitting under the center console. The ash tray had a light, and this does not have one. I just unplugged the bulb for now, maybe I will use this for other interior lighting at a future date:

I re-installed the bezel, plugged in all of the switches and tested them, good to go:

I just left the power wires for the running out of the center console for now. It was late, and I can easily wire it up later.

a BIG thank you to many jeepers on JeepForum who have done this already, their pics and advice was been perfect!

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #483 (Edited)
I installed the winch today, it actually went really smooth.

During the first test fit, I noticed that there was too much white visible, and I needed to black out some of the lower panels that have been hidden behind the bumper. A small portion may be seen with the winch cutout. The winch fit well, bolted right up to the Iceland Offroad winch plate:

Luckily I had a rattle can of black, so I quickly sprayed a bit on the front of the jeep before I continued.

The cables were labeled very well, and were easy to install:

There is an area just below the passenger headlight where you can run the wires from the winch up to the battery, perfect path:

There is a bit of extra wire. I just wound it up, tied it together, and left it on the side of the winch tray next to the winch. I will be hidden and out of site:

First I made a template with some cardboard, then found the center of the bumper, placed the template in place, and laid some tape down for lines, and cut the fiberglass (while wearing a breathing mask and long sleeves of course. I measured many times to make sure that I was cutting it correctly (measure from the mounting surface of the winch plate, add the thickness of the bumper, the measure from the front outer bumper shell:

After I sliced it, I installed the bumper and wound the line in.

I need to wind the line out, and tighten it under load before I use it. But everything is on and it fits, I am very happy with the winch. Next time we run Metal Masher, I will take a shot at widowmaker.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Installed the front 3/4 spacers to compensate for the winch. I had installed 3/4 inch spacers in the rear when I added the protofab bumper, so this brought everything back inline. The jeep sits pretty level now.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Time to share some pics from our recent Moab Trip...
Upon our return, there were a few things to replace: Licence plate light, torn mud flap, air filter, clean throttle body...I still need to take the front end apart, I believe I damaged a CV. I will also replace my steering stabilizer as it is now toast :)
Here is my cool co-pilot, the WJ is her DD:

Dropping into Cliffhanger:

View of Cliffhanger entrance from below:

Cliffhanger has some amazing views, and also some large drops:

Clgielin and I:

End of Cliffhanger, great views:

Coming back out of Cliffhanger:

Getting tippy:

Hiking around the cliff on Chicken Corners:

End of the trail on Chicken Corners:

Red Dirt looks cool on the Utah JeepCrew sticker:

Night wheeling on Fins:

Messing around after exiting Strike Ravine:

Maybe I'll get around to editing more video after this last trip, I have been slacking.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Awesome Jeeps and scenery. I have watched your build over the past years and I would agree with the many on here, favorite WJ by far. Haven't made it to Moab yet but its in the plans one day, well once my Jeep makes it through its last phase of build work but who are we kidding Jeep builds never really end they only get better.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Thanks slowcrawler! Yeah, the build never ends...there are always more things to do. If the build does ever end...there are always "fixes" to take care when you break stuff :)

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Well....it wasn't a cracked CV cage like I hoped. But at least I was able to make it home from Moab:

New Yukon R&P along with master install kit is on its way.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Parts arrived on Wednesday, so I took Thursday off to get the Jeep back on the road:

I thought all my gears were Yukons (I know the rears are, but Six States may have just used whatever D30 stuff they had on the shelf). The pinions look different, the left one is the Yukon and it has a larger contact tooth:

The passenger side of the carrier has an attachment (may have something to do with the varilock) on it that didn't allow me to use the bearing puller the way I wanted to without destroying it...so we cut the bearings off with a grinder, then sliced into the inner race, and used an air hammer around the lip of the inner race to get it off of the carrier. Long process, but it worked:

We put it together to see the pattern and left all shims as they were before. BTW, the pinion was a beast to tighten. I had a pipe wrench on the yoke and against the LCA while tightening it with a 24 inch breaker bar. We got really lucky, the pattern looks great. I am no gear pro, and was lucky to have the help of my bro. He is my go to mechanic when something is beyond my skills.

It feels better on the highway than it did before. I also replaced the diff side u-joint in the front driveline, and rotated the tires. My highway test last night and this morning were both great, now to get some miles on this and see how it starts wearing. I'll check the pattern again in 500 miles when I change the fluid again.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Thanks guys!

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Last week I finally ordered new window scraper seals for the Jeep. They were getting really bad, and it was time. Here are some pics of the worst one, it was rusting from the inside out and bulging away from the body.

This view shows how much it was starting to push away from the door because of the internal rust and swelling:

There was an incredible amount of rust that was falling out during the removal of the old ones. All 4 took about 10 minutes to remove and install.

The new seals look so much better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, how do you remove the seals and where did you get new ones from? Rockauto? I've got one that is starting to go bad, if it's easy like you say then I might go ahead and change them all. Thanks.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
I bought them from teamgrandcherokee.com for $99 + about $18 shipping (in the states of course). They arrived in just a few days. That was cheaper than I could find them anywhere else.

I pulled them all out by bending the back edge upward, then just started to pull. There is somy type of clip edge that the trim gets caught on. I used needle nose plyers to grab the metal (what was left of the metal) and yanked it upward. The molding then came off very easily. Just push the new ones down in place, very easy. With the front ones, you start pushing them down, and then push it forward so that the trim tucks inside/under the mirror.

Very easy job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought them from teamgrandcherokee.com for $99 + about $18 shipping (in the states of course). They arrived in just a few days. That was cheaper than I could find them anywhere else.

I pulled them all out by bending the back edge upward, then just started to pull. There is somy type of clip edge that the trim gets caught on. I used needle nose plyers to grab the metal (what was left of the metal) and yanked it upward. The molding then came off very easily. Just push the new ones down in place, very easy. With the front ones, you start pushing them down, and then push it forward so that the trim tucks inside/under the mirror.

Very easy job.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just sat through 50 pages of the most interesting Grand Cherokee information I have been able to find. I own a WJ V8 with a very modest 2" lift, front air locker and a few other odds and sods. Your vehicle, with all the fruit, is something to which I wish to aspire - what a great truck!!
You're lucky to have access to all that good gear over there. Here in OZ it's difficult to find bits for WJ's. Looks like lots of time to be spent sourcing stuff from the USA.
Thanks for all the great info, footage and photos.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
No problem, glad you like it. I have more time into this Jeep than I do my High School IROC. However, I am starting to gather parts for that now. Most of the stuff I have left for the Jeep is just minor.

When you decide to have stuff shipped there, you may want to find a company that can combine a bunch of stuff on a pallet for you to save some $. As far as the big stuff goes though, it might be cheaper to have custom stuff made if you decide you want bumpers/sliders/skid plates. Good luck with the build.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
Did some mild mountain wheeling this weekend, and played a bit in the water at Bear Lake:

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
I checked it with a multimeter, and it is good. I did notice when I checked the SWR again though that it changes drastically when I move the mic. I wonder if I have a bad mic or bad mic wire...
I decided with my day off on Veterans day, that I would touch up a few cosmetic areas of the Jeep. I started by pulling the sliders off. But first, I marked where the body stuck out from the slider (behind the rear doors, just in front of the rear tire). The rocker panel wasn't flush with the slider, and this has bugged me for a while. This pic shows my marker line that I cut to:

I stripped the sliders down to metal, and laid down a fresh coat of duplicolor:

There were some rash marks on the bumper that were starting to rust pretty bad. I sanded those down to bare metal carefully, faded the line between the paint and metal with some 800 grit, and masked it off for paint and clear. I love duplicolor.

The result...clean sliders and bumper. I need to wash the rest of the jeep now, I just washed those areas by hand but left the rest of the jeep dusty so that any overspray would wash right off.

And...look what came in the mail:

481 - 500 of 509 Posts