Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

461 - 480 of 509 Posts

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Thanks. I really wanted to go with Moabs, but my wife really wanted black wheels. In the end, I like the look and am happy with the choice. It surprised me how much the look of the Jeep changed with this new setup.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #462 (Edited)
I picked up something for the Jeep this week, but will likely wait until it warms up a bit. The daytime temps are not even hitting 25 right now.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
The winch install will be on the backburner until I can get this thing on the road again...
My wife got in the jeep on Sunday morning (in the driveway) and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I am feeling very blessed right now. The evening before, we were on the freeway, then we came down 1000 feet in elevation from my inlaws (pretty steep road) just before parking the Jeep on Saturday night. Both front calipers had piston seals go, loss of all the fluid.

I am glad this didn't happen at a time that could have been scary.
New calipers are on, but bleeding brakes at 15 degrees was killing me. So I got it good enough to drive slowly, and will head over to my dads place to use his heated garage tonight.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
I am not sure if the MC was also bad, or if it finally puked when I bled the brakes after doing the calipers. I was losing fluid with no external leaks.

All I can say is WOW, the MC really did need to be replaced. When I removed it, I could see a lake of brake fluid in the booster.

I was amazed at how much fluid actually came out of the booster:

I bled the MC and got everything back together. The Booster was only a year old. But with all that fluid sitting in it, I decided to replace it also. The fluid looked pretty dark, I assume that it has been eating away at everything in the booster. Rather than rinse it out and risk it...a reman unit is now in place.

Now if I can just get the air out of the ABS unit, the brakes will be 100% again. :D

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Thanks guys...there is always more to do. Now that it is warm, it is time to start on projects again.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
I need to install the winch, modify the ash tray to install the new CB unit, install a 12 oclock labs speedo module to correct the speedometer, repaint the sliders, touch up the rust on the bumper (rock rash), Install the new front diff cover, and make some type of attachment for hitch chains.

There is always more to do :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Always! Which diff cover did you go with?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
I can't remember who makes it, it is a finned aluminum cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great build, hope you dont mind , but ill will be refering to you build allot to help in building my rig. Wish there were more people in MI using WJs I now have two and love them.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions along the way.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Yet another brake fluid leak...

It looks like when I replaced the calipers in freezing weather this January (while laying on the ice) I didn't get the line far away from the CV...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bummer, kinda need brakes lol

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
Yeah, scary. I am glad my wife pays attention to the mechanical stuff and pointed the leak out to me.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Click * Click * Click *

All better

·
Registered
90 Posts
Haha click click. How is it to get to on the 4.7?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
It only took about 3 minutes to get it off, 5 minutes to clean up the connections until they were bright new metal, and another 3 minutes to install it. I spent more time taking my tools out to the jeep and disconnecting the battery.

It is really weird though, it turns over very quickly. You can normally recognize the sound of an engine turning over. But it now sounds like a high compression race engine turning over, so it sounds funny when the engine fires and you hear the exhaust through the flowmaster.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet it sounds badass, my straight pipe start up is lol

Really easy of a job to do then, i am pleased

461 - 480 of 509 Posts