Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts
Heres my $.02 worth...
For mirrors i would take the mount for your top hinges, and just make a plate and take some cj style mirrors and mount them to the plate so you take your door off and then use the 2 top holes and 2 top bolts and bolt the mirrors in place. simple and quick.
As for half doors. I have been contemplating them for a while as i have a full parts zj. The doors at the bottom or rotted to %&@# like i wouldn't have ever guess. The second I took my cladding off and saw it... i ran to my DD zj and ripped it all off to make sure it didn't look like that... damn new england rust... Anyhoo, i was thinking of using the stock latch to make a tube half door. I would retain the locks and try to mount the fact speakers and use the door harnesses from ym parts zj so they could plug in and everything minus the windows (obviously) would work. But here is where i kinda got silly. I was thinking of using clips such as the ones that are on your engine holding the heater lines that go to your heating core to clip a soft shell door onto the tube doors. I have some 5/16ths in. rod that i could bend and use as the frame to follow the door lines so it would look factory and not like a hack job. Then use some of the clear stuff they use on wrangler soft doors and make a window that zips open as well. Id want to make then small enough so i could throw them under my roof rack or soemthing so i could carry at all times and if it starts to rain throw them on. My only fear would be the wind catching them at high speed and popping those clips off and tearing the door off... that would be bad, but if i were to do this id obviouly make some sort of retention thing to keep the door at least connected in some way to the car in case of that happening.
I will get my sketches up as soon as i figure out this new computer. hope i gave some ideas and didn't confuse people too much lol.

swamp boy, my girlfriend is looking over my shoulder and she wants to know if your strips are black or white?

If your doors really added to the structure, you wouldn't have been able to open that door. If you really think that window frame is really that strong, go to a junkyard and shove on it. It isn't hard to tweak that frame. The only reason your top didn't crush any further, was because of the "B" piller by your shoulder. I'm not an engineer, but spent many years as an accident scene photographer. Window frames don't do squat.

Roger

piku303 said:
trust me from experience. for people who say that the doors dont add to structural integrity you are wrong. when a zj rolls the doors are just another thing that must be crushed. i was in a zj rollover and i can gaurantee that if my front doors were not on the roof would have caved in a lot more. look at the first two pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2387961

Man that thing looks fast.. :mrgreen:

I have been asked before to do half doors.. Honestly I have far to much going on right now to do them.(I am in the middle of rebuilding my rental house that was busted up during Katriana.)

If it can wait til summer I will do a set for you.. PM me and we can discuss price and other details.. [smilie=bal_cool.gif]

Carl

Has anyone done anything to be able to control the windows and the locks for the back yet, i would like to be able to have something so that each window could control itself and still have the ability to control everything from the drivers side also. Anybody out there done this yet

I kept the drivers control unit.. It is mounted on the door panel that I made.. It allows me to control the windows and also lets the rear windows control themselves..

I made a door panel out of 1/4" plywood and some cheap pleather from Wally world..

I cut a hole in it for the inside door handle and another for the window control panel.. No problem...

The window switches mount with 2 screws on the stock door panel.. I just sheet metal screws to hold it on as well as using the same screws to hold the door panel on..

If it didnt rain every other day in the summer where I live then I'd deff. cruise around with them off. O what the hell, I probably will anyway! :lol:

HEY SWAMPY, how about some pics of the soft door toppers? did you get them done yet? and how about some close up inside and outside shots of your doors. i am planning on doing mine this summer, and i like the style of yours, but i may not go with the bar across the open area. why did you put the bar in there? for an armrest or does it serve some other purpose?

has anyone done quick release hinges up where it bolts on? i did quick release doors on my 82 toyota, and just had to pull 2 pins at the hinges.

I put the bar on the passenger side cause I have a small daughter that likes to ride in the Jeep.. She was scared without the bar.. So I put one on the drivers side to match it..

I will get some pics of inside and outside tommorow..

I havent gotten the soft tops made yet. Hurricane Katrina set me back quite a bit, I am still trying to get my rental house back together..(insurance company held my money for almost a year before they finally paid exactly half of the claim amount..:angry:

But thats another story...

Anyway....

As soon as I get that finished I will drop it off at the upholstery shop and get them done...

Hoping that will be no later than the end of next month..

hey swampy how are those doors? I'm finally gonna start building mine this month, do you happen to have any pics of the interal work you did?
I'm going to attempt to keep my door speakers as well as the switches like you, and possibly (power locks???) for the alarm's sake...... I plan on removing the glass and trimming them down pretty much like you did also how diffiucult was the bar to brace and weld in?

WOW, When did this thread come back from the dead HAHA. Im probably going to be making full soft doors this summer with canvas and windows, I will post up what I find out. First I have to make frames for the doors. Yes, its going to be a pain and it will probably take forever but I will try

RockZJ

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.