Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

taking doors off zj

39K views 102 replies 44 participants last post by  Kaufmann 
#1 ·
i've seen people with their doors off, so whats a good way to take them off so i would be able to put them back on to?

thanks,
chris

G
#3 ·
REALLY helps to have a second person helping out the way I do it, but it can be done by one person if you put a jackstand under the door. When you open up the door, you should notice that there are 4 bolts holding the door to the Jeep. These should be 10mm. Take those out while your buddy holds the door. Now you have the electrical harness. There's a tiny torx screw in there that you have to unscrew and then you can pull the harness out. That part is kind of a PITA. Now your dome lights are going to be on all the time. Get a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the door switch pins. Pull the wiring out a little bit and there's a harness you can unplug. The Jeep now thinks the doors are shut and your dome lights go off.

#103 ·
REALLY helps to have a second person helping out the way I do it, but it can be done by one person if you put a jackstand under the door. When you open up the door, you should notice that there are 4 bolts holding the door to the Jeep. These should be 10mm. Take those out while your buddy holds the door. Now you have the electrical harness. There's a tiny torx screw in there that you have to unscrew and then you can pull the harness out. That part is kind of a PITA. Now your dome lights are going to be on all the time. Get a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the door switch pins. Pull the wiring out a little bit and there's a harness you can unplug. The Jeep now thinks the doors are shut and your dome lights go off.

I took my doors off and put them back already with no problem. Now I have them off again and as trying to put them back on but the door hits the front quarter panel and bends it when you open and close it on both sides. is there a shim that I'm missing in there or how do I just it so it doesn't do that?

#8 ·
Yep, I'm thinking about taking my front two doors off during the summer also. How long does this whole process take?

#11 ·
Steigs said:
Any idea of the legality of that? If you've got a seatbelt on, are the doors pretty much 'optional'? Takes the 460 a/c technique a bit further.. :grin:
Never had a problem and I've driven by and talked to a few cops w/ the doors off. Really depends on your state / city.

#25 ·
I use an engine hoist to pull my doors.

Worked out pretty good. It took more time to set up the hoist than to pull or put on the door.

For mirrors I found some junkyard TJ mirrors and mounted them to the remaining door hinge via custom made bracket.

I've since made a "door removal tool" that mounts on my floor jack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.