Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
G

·
REALLY helps to have a second person helping out the way I do it, but it can be done by one person if you put a jackstand under the door. When you open up the door, you should notice that there are 4 bolts holding the door to the Jeep. These should be 10mm. Take those out while your buddy holds the door. Now you have the electrical harness. There's a tiny torx screw in there that you have to unscrew and then you can pull the harness out. That part is kind of a PITA. Now your dome lights are going to be on all the time. Get a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the door switch pins. Pull the wiring out a little bit and there's a harness you can unplug. The Jeep now thinks the doors are shut and your dome lights go off.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you're by yourself, undo the wireing harness first, then break the 10mm bolts loose. And I use a cordless drill with the 10mm on it to run the bolts out while I hold the door. I can put them on and off by myself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, I'm thinking about taking my front two doors off during the summer also. How long does this whole process take?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any idea of the legality of that? If you've got a seatbelt on, are the doors pretty much 'optional'? Takes the 460 a/c technique a bit further.. :grin:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Steigs said:
Any idea of the legality of that? If you've got a seatbelt on, are the doors pretty much 'optional'? Takes the 460 a/c technique a bit further.. :grin:
Never had a problem and I've driven by and talked to a few cops w/ the doors off. Really depends on your state / city.

G

·
I hooked up some ghetto mirror on the driver side to be legal in CO. Also, it's nice to have at least something to see what's behind me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where do you fellas put your doors when they are off?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts