Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here heard of the JB Conversions NP231HD t case for sale? Is the 231 a common replacement form the 249? In the future, im going to want to replace the 249 in favor of a selectable 4wd case. Also, anyone have a cage in their GCs?

Ryan

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 231, 231HD and 242 are all good replacements :gears: for the 249.

Haven't seen a roll cage in a Grand yet. :deform:

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are a few of us here in Colo. that are considering a t-case swap here soon. I know of 3 others that want to go frome the 249 to one of the others. We should all do them at the same time.

G

·
0 Posts
Rocky - I replaced my 249 with a JB conversions 231 HD w/ SYE. I LOVE IT!

VERY tough case, great SYE, its all good. best band for the buck in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I also replaced the junkie non-lo lock 249 with a 231. Mine has no sye kit yet :cry:

I agree that it is a great replacement. If you are going to put in automatic lockers the 242 is a waste of time. It would be difficult to run in full time on the street with the auto lockers.
Nathan

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I have a 231 w/ sye kit--love it. It's almost identical to the one that JB offers. The JB kit is a great deal, just make sure you measure your input shaft on your t-case before you order it because it is a PITA to change them and a worn out input shaft can darnage a new case.

Cody

·
Registered
671 Posts
i did a 249->242 swap recent and am very pleased. jeep never put the 242 behind a v8, but transfer cases unlimited out of NY has a hybrid unit that is a direct bolt in replacment. if you want some more information, let me know.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Thats wrong. DC DID put a 242 behind a v8. I know of one particular long armed, New York residin' WJ w/ a 4.7 v8 AND 242 stock. It is rare, but it exists.

Cody

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had Mike Duncan at the Four X Doctor in Burbank order a 231 HD w/ slip yoke eliminator from JB. I must say it was one of my better decisions. New shafts, no slip yoke, no CV in the front shaft and zerk fittings throughout. Was going to do it myself, but decided it was a PITA. If you don't have a dependable and professional shop around (if nothing else but for a little advice) I feel for you.:gears:

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those who have changed the t-case, do the kits come with a modification for the shift lever, or do you go by feel for position? and is the linkage different?
The 249 has three positions; full, N, Low. Where as the 242 is 5 position.

I think the coupling's weld is leaking fluid causing some excessive torque to the front in high on my current 249. Otherwise its been great offroad. BTW - there are two versions, DC had a cost savings idea in 95 to removed the diff. With diff good, without not as good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Four X Doctor had to cut & weld the stock linkage bracket to make it work. It was a trial & error affair and as they say "the third time was a charm." I haven't heard of anyone suppling a bracket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts