Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Swamper 36 = aut trans problem??

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Pacheco 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've recently swapped my rear axle by a Ford 8.8 keeping the 3:73 (as front dana 30). I've also upgraded to Swamper 36" as before I rolled with BF Mud 33".

The problem was that the automatic transmission didn't hold up! In fact the jeep had no power and when removed the valves from carter we could see a lot of metalic small parts..
So, is it natural after having the 33" and 3:73 relation or is it something else??

I've already buyed from justdiferentials the 4:56 for rear 8.8 and front D30. Should I do something else to be able to run with 36".

I Also want to buy a ARB locker for rear axle...Anyone with one to sell?

Some pics of my ZJ:

Rear axle: Ford Explorer 4.0

some more:

besides another with 33"

last:

Thanks

Agostinho

See less See more
#3 ·
a few things:
1) here's an ARB for sale from of my local clubs:
http://nsjc.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=parts&action=display&thread=21740
2) what height/brand lift are you running?
3) the 4.56 gears certainly will help you turn those big tires. the trannies behind the Jeep V8's aren't the greatest and you are definitely not the first one to have to rebuild his trans after putting on larger tires. does your jeep currently have a trans cooler? if not, you should have one installed.

#4 ·
Hi Bacon,

1) will check... thanks
2) I have around 4" lift
3) The rear axle is now the Ford 8.8 and yes I've installed a cooler for trans (extra radiator) for trans oil. Will it be better to install also a fan?

The problem with the trans is:
1 - not enought power (eg: for a small climb, it seems the jeep doesn't move!!)
2- In R position he moves forward!! (real strange because I'm sure that the position inside the carter is ok)
3- will 4:56 be enought? Or better 4:88? I've been said that is not advisable to have 4:88 with front d30 because the pinion is too short...

thanks for your help.

Pacheco

#6 ·
Yes 4.88 does push the limit on the d30. The pinion is small, so you only have a few teeth in contact with the ring gear. Although my son's xj has 4.88s and 36" tsl swampers for three years with no problems. But the xj is a high pinion d30. They are a little stronger than the low pinion in the zj. Go with 4.56 and do a transfer case swap with 4.1 low range.

#11 ·
Keep the 231 t/c and install the teraflex tera low kit. This will change your low range to 4:1 but will leave your high range the same.

#14 ·
might as well install the teraflex 2wd low range detent plate while you have the case apart too. Sams offroad used to be by far the cheapest place to get a teraflex 4-1 low range kit that i found. last time i bought one from sam it was 750.00 $$.He would sell the new returns and extra stock real cheap. With a full warranty also. Google sams offroad.

#18 ·
thanks!

However, I've received a mail (from seller I think!) and answered back with offer, but... No answer.

Maybe he's not a daily online guy!

Regards

Agostinho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.