Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZJ has 132,000 miles on it with the I6. I have driven newer jeeps, and the ride is obviously nicer in them. I know i clearly do not have a new jeep, but if i keep doing stuff to the suspension it should get to be a better ride, like when i hit a small pot hole at 50mph. I recently replaced all 4 shocks with just stock replacements, and then i replaced all 4 coil springs myself with new stock ones. Now my jeep is just a little higher off the ground and doesn't have that worn out sagging look anymore, it also tilts more around turns. The ride has not imporved really.

As i was replacing the coil springs, i had to remove the lower control arms in the front. The joint that connects to the axel did not have to be removed, and when i removed the other end that attaches to the frame of the car, the whole control arm started bouncing up and down like i pulled it back and flung it or something, as if the other joint was stuck or really tight. It seems to me that if the joints in my suspension do not like to flex, that could be where my ride is suffering, seeing as i replaced the shocks and springs already, what else could it be?

If anyone knows about this stuff please help me cuz taking the front axel off my grand took all day and it was not fun, i only want to do it again one more time unless i get a lift later on.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is normal, the way a joint like that is supposed to be. If they were loose they would rattle around and make all kinds of noise. When you reinstall control arms put the bolt in and don't tighten it up, lower the vehicle to the ground, and then tighten it. This way it is locked in place in the middle of its normal travel.
The ride is all dependant on what kind of springs you put in, what brand of shocks, even the tires and their air preasure.
I have one upper control arm that is lose around the outside of the rubber right now, over bumps sounds like a rubber mallet pounding the floor. My springs are also shot. Put in a set of Gabriels top of the line truck shock and it rides like a 3/4 ton pickup around town, little stiff.

93 ZJ: I6 142000 miles.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
On 2002-02-14 22:26, MikeTedeschi wrote:
As i was replacing the coil springs, i had to remove the lower control arms in the front. The joint that connects to the axel did not have to be removed, and when i removed the other end that attaches to the frame of the car, the whole control arm started bouncing up and down like i pulled it back and flung it or something, as if the other joint was stuck or really tight.
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I can picture what you're talking about here, but I have a few questions and a comment ot two.

First, the control arms don't have to be removed to replace the springs. Most of the front lower control arms on these Jeeps have a cam on the attaching bolt at the axle end. This is used to adjust caster and if removed will require an alignment. For about $20.00 you should be able to find a pair of coil spring compressors which will help you do the job.

Second, you talk about joints in the control arms. The stock arms have a big rubber bushing at both ends. Being rubber, they'll dry up and crack with age. With abuse, they end up herniating, or bulging out of their housing. This deformity does not correct itself when the forces which caused it are relieved so it is very evident upon visual inspection as well.

Finally, the action you described when you removed the frame end of the arm (if I'm reading you correctly,) sounds normal. The axle is always under a little bit of tension given that it is suspending the weight of the vehicle underneath coils. The lower control arms are the main links used to locate the axle under the body. When you remove one of those, the axle will tend to twist given the forces involved. Tell me, did you need to jockey the axle around at all to get the holes to line up again when re-connecting the arm?

Jay

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, i got an alignmentthe next day, and the jeep rides and steers normal, but i just wanted to know how to make it ride like a newer jeep considering there isnt much left to replace and i might as well.

To JayH ~ Yes, the bushings in jeep, specifically the ones in my lower control arms are defintly bulging and are cracked. To put the bolt back in on the lower control arm - on the end of the arm that bolts to the frame - was EXTREMELY difficult. I had to have 2 other people force the axle away from the car frontwards, and I also had to use one of my hands to pull the arm up so it lined up with the frame, which was very hard to do, and the my other hand to put the bolt in, which was a strugle in itself.

I almost did that thing you described of not tighening the bolts until the axle is resting in its normal or neutral position, but since im only 17 i had this thing called high school the next day and it was 10pm so, i just wanted everything back together. i will defintly do that next time.

i think you are telling me i also do need/want new bushings.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts