Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know offhand if the super 35 will fit a 2k WJ? I keep reading about tone rings/ ABS problems. Help?

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-02-19 13:28, SLO MO wrote:
Does anyone know offhand if the super 35 will fit a 2k WJ? I keep reading about tone rings/ ABS problems. Help?
NO, the s35 doesn't have the 5x5.5 bolt pattern on the axle shafts. I suppose you could use the oem ones but, then what is the point of the s35 then? Don't forget with the s35 you are transferring your weakest link from a cheaper and easier to replace axle shaft to a $$$ and very difficult to replace ring or pinion gear.

my 2¢
Zac

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Also note that while the ZJ's bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5, the WJ's is 5 on 5.

Jay

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
why invest so much money when you can swap an 8.8 for less than 500 bucks?

Cody

·
Registered
69 Posts
And still have the C-Clips. ;) A 5x5.5 bolt pattern huh? I don't know what the width of a WJ axle is, but maybe check out:

Scout D44
CJ7 WT D44 (wide track)

oh man.. brain fart.. I just lost my in head encyclopedia. :(

On 2002-02-21 03:06, MoabZJ wrote:
why invest so much money when you can swap an 8.8 for less than 500 bucks?

Cody

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cody, I was just exploring some options for the rear. I don't really want to go through the hassle of a complete swap if I don't have to. If the rear of my WJ was set up more like the Zj it wouldn't be such a big deal but I like the 3 link. Just not sure how well the axles would hold up with 33"+ tires and a locker.
Thanks for all replies.
Brett

·
Registered
227 Posts
I plan on doing a Super 35 kit w/ OX Trax in my '96 ZJ and running 32" tires.
I know a few guys who ran Superior kits in their AMC Model 20 axles in their old CJ7's and run 35+" tires (Boggers mostly) with no problems at all, Detroit lockers.
For what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yeah, you have c clips still, but it's ring gear is almost 10% bigger, it comes w/ 31 spline axles, there is no carrier break, and you can have disc brakes.

The super 35 kit solves some of the problems, but if you gear down to 4.56 you create another problem. Your weakest spot becomes your ring gear. I remember cbasset did something similar to the s35 kit (may have been the kit) and he kept going through ring gears. His tire rubbing his bumper destroyed one set if I remember correctly.

If you have the 4.0, you may be able to baby your 35c enought that you can lock it up w/ 33's w/o the super kit and not break stuff. Put a block under your pedal when you go wheelin' ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes but in regards to the ring and pinion .. the AMC20 is FAR superior to the D35 in strength.

On 2002-02-21 12:37, rreed wrote:
I plan on doing a Super 35 kit w/ OX Trax in my '96 ZJ and running 32" tires.
I know a few guys who ran Superior kits in their AMC Model 20 axles in their old CJ7's and run 35+" tires (Boggers mostly) with no problems at all, Detroit lockers.
For what it's worth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I suppose, being that the pumpkin is gigantic compared to the 35c.
Also I wonder what kind of r&p that guy was running who kept going through them. I'm running Yukon gears in my old CJ-5 with no problems and a stout 350 motor I like to romp on. They're supposed to be great gears.
I'll be running Yukon r&ps in my ZJ once I get it up in the air and gear it down to 4.10s for the 32s this summer. I'll be sure to blab about my experience with the Super 35 kit when I get it done. Suped up I6 in mine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well.. the AMC20 R&P, specially the pinion is much larger than even a D44. the Pinion saft itself is the same dia. as a D60.

I was just making a point.. comparing a AMC20 to a D35 wasn't exactly fair to teh D35. ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ah, so what you're saying is the AMC 20 is...large? Or something? Like, compared to the Dana 35, and stuff. Gotcha. (smiley face goes here)

·
Registered
671 Posts
c-clips hold the axles in the tube/carrier. w/ c-clips, if the axle breaks, it comes out on you. setups like the ford9", have brackets on the end of the axle tube that hold the axle in place, even if ir breaks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts