Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
we just purchased a 2021 GC Trail Hawk, my question is even though the fix above gets the ESP going, is there any chance of damage while towing? Will the battery be drained while towed long hours? My understanding is the harness makes sure power guest the ESP and isolates it from the computers as to avoid error codes and such. I am looking for anything that helps me avoid the f$$$ing $1500 labor charge at the steeler. Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
we just purchased a 2021 GC Trail Hawk, my question is even though the fix above gets the ESP going, is there any chance of damage while towing? Will the battery be drained while towed long hours? My understanding is the harness makes sure power guest the ESP and isolates it from the computers as to avoid error codes and such. I am looking for anything that helps me avoid the f$$$ing $1500 labor charge at the steeler. Thanks,
I have towed from Oregon to Texas. No error codes from towing. My understanding is the optional harness is not effective according to corporate.

I installed a charge line from coach to Jeep, but probably not actually needed.

What brake system are you installing? If it has one way check valves added on the brake vacuum lines, if you ever get error codes check for a stuck check valve. Happened once to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have towed from Oregon to Texas. No error codes from towing. My understanding is the optional harness is not effective according to corporate.

I installed a charge line from coach to Jeep, but probably not actually needed.

What brake system are you installing? If it has one way check valves added on the brake vacuum lines, if you ever get error codes check for a stuck check valve. Happened once to me.
We use Roadmaster - Brake Master. We live in Vancouver,WA and they are right there. We have been towing an Escalade and will do the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I resolved the no power to the steering issue (EPS) months ago after transfer case neutral, 2021 Grand Cherokee.

Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-enage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the sterring will return to normal.

Try it and report back here.
Did you have the rv harness: 82216418AA installed??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2021 JGC Trailhawk. Can't find Settings: "Key off options" Can you help me please? Have the same lack of steering after unhooking from motorhome.
- Get out owners manual. Now in owners manual look for the following:

- Under Multi Media (uconnect systems)

- Settings

- CUSTOMER PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES — UCONNECT 4C/4C NAV SETTINGS

- Lights After pressing the Lights button on the touchscreen, the following settings will be available: Setting Name Selectable Options Headlight Off Delay 0 sec 30 sec 60 sec 90 se (set to 0)

- Key Off Options After pressing the Key Off Options button on the touchscreen, the following settings will be available: Engine Off Power Delay 0 sec 45 sec 5 min 10 min Headlight Off Delay 0 sec 30 sec 60 sec 90 sec (set all to 0)

You will still have a delay of approx 30 seconds after you turn the Jeep completely off to restore steering. You can tell when all lights by the transmission tunnel (shifter) go completely out that steering is restored. Turning the above settings to zero seconds simply makes it a little faster than when higher seconds are selected.

Let me know if this helps you find it. If not I can walk you through it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
- Get out owners manual. Now in owners manual look for the following:

- Under Multi Media (uconnect systems)

- Settings

- CUSTOMER PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES — UCONNECT 4C/4C NAV SETTINGS

- Lights After pressing the Lights button on the touchscreen, the following settings will be available: Setting Name Selectable Options Headlight Off Delay 0 sec 30 sec 60 sec 90 se (set to 0)

- Key Off Options After pressing the Key Off Options button on the touchscreen, the following settings will be available: Engine Off Power Delay 0 sec 45 sec 5 min 10 min Headlight Off Delay 0 sec 30 sec 60 sec 90 sec (set all to 0)

You will still have a delay of approx 30 seconds after you turn the Jeep completely off to restore steering. You can tell when all lights by the transmission tunnel (shifter) go completely out that steering is restored. Turning the above settings to zero seconds simply makes it a little faster than when higher seconds are selected.

Let me know if this helps you find it. If not I can walk you through it.
I got it thank you! Scared the heck of us on our first trial tow! I like this community!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to add to this post re no EPS after flat towing, we have towed our 2016 Summit on/off for 6 years and never experienced this issue until the first flat tow after the dealer replaced the steering rack due to a wobble/knock at speed on slight right turn inputs.....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts