Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift the transfer case in to neutral, for towing behind my RV, and then put the transfer case back in to gear so I can drive the Jeep the power steering is inoperable for about 20 minutes or after I try to drive it without power steering. Then it resets itself and power steering is back. There are no warning signals or codes that show up with this issue. The jeep dealer seems to think it is an integration issue with flat towing system, but there are no integrations with power steering. Any one else running into this? Seems to reset itself as if nothing was ever wrong, but is difficult if I need to get driving somewhere right after I put it back into gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I shift the transfer case in to neutral, for towing behind my RV, and then put the transfer case back in to gear so I can drive the Jeep the power steering is inoperable for about 20 minutes or after I try to drive it without power steering. Then it resets itself and power steering is back. There are no warning signals or codes that show up with this issue. The jeep dealer seems to think it is an integration issue with flat towing system, but there are no integrations with power steering. Any one else running into this? Seems to reset itself as if nothing was ever wrong, but is difficult if I need to get driving somewhere right after I put it back into gear.
wl
we are having the same issue with 2021 JGC. One we unhook from MH and go through the steps per the instruction manual, the power steering will not work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a follow up to my earlier thread, it appears to be a programming issue by Jeep. I did another test, where I just went through the steps in the manual for going into neutral. Then I left car in driveway for a couple hours (not hooking up for flat tow). After a couple hours I put the Jeep back into gear, and my power steering was out, though the car never moved. I am trying to get it into dealer with additional information so they can write a programming fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I resolved the no power to the steering issue (EPS) months ago after transfer case neutral, 2021 Grand Cherokee.

Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-enage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the sterring will return to normal.

Try it and report back here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried the method I posted?

If power to Jeep does not remain off until transmission light by shifter goes out, the power steering assist will not work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried the method I posted?

If power to Jeep does not remain off until transmission light by shifter goes out, the power steering assist will not work.
Yes, and it worked. We reset the the delays to zero and it took about 15 seconds for it to completely power down. Thanks so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts