Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having this really weird problem w/ the ZJ. The steering has had a lot of play in it for a while. Recently it has just begun to act up. I wheeled on Saturday and just yesterday it has started to creak (like walking through an old house) really bad when turning left and returning to center from left. It's almost like short very fast little pops sometimes. My steering pump also sounds like coffee brewing when I am turning. I am more concerned about the box. I laid under the Jeep and had someone turn the wheel and it sounds like its coming from up around the pitman arm or being resonated to the bull bar. The pitman arm also appears to have side to side play where it connects to the box. I tightened the steering box bolts and all other suspension components and greased everything and its still there. I think it has to do w/ something internally in the steering box. Am I about to lose the box? I guess I'm asking for opinions and are re-built boxes from like NAPA ok to get or should I try to spring for a AGR? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think there is an issue on certain years with the bracket cracking under stress. Take a close look...sooner than later...may have to back the bolts out a bit just to check.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think mine is on it's way out the door too.
It not near as smooth as it used to be. Do you think the 6" coils are stressing it out? Do they make a longer drop pitman arm for larger lifts. The stock one looks to be a 4" drop or so. How can we reduce the stress on the steering gear? TIA
Sam

·
Registered
414 Posts
My rig used to be squeeky also. Turned out to be the front swaybar bushings were dry and causing the noise. I replaced them and the noise went away. It was really pronounced when turning the wheel at really slow speeds.

M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem w/my '98. I took the route of buying an AGR steering box and pump. In my opinion it was worth all the trouble. I have never steered anything so easily in my life. Even off road it is no problem what so ever. I also replaced my front sway bar bushings. That helped with the noises also. Just my two bitties worth.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What engine do you have in your '98 Platinum? My steering roars to the left, pretty loud at times like it's low on fluid, which it is not. Right is quiet as can be. Considering doing the AGR but I've heard someone say it turned sloppy after one year of use.
I've got the good old 4.0L I6, wonder if they make one to fit mine?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
It didn't even take a six months for my AGR to go slop. I'll consistently vote no on any AGR products!

My steering creak always seems to be due to the nuts on the body-side track-bar mount needing tightening.

Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cajun, how long have you had yours on? I've heard people with AGR complain, you're the first to give good compliments.
Of all griping and only one happy customer, I'm not sure I'll go there. Perhaps yours just hasn't had time to go bad yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had mine for about one year. It's my daily driver however I do wheel almost every weekend. So far no problems. When my steering box went bad I talked to my friend at the dealership, he said that the stock box was going to have the same problem. Plus the AGR box was cheaper. I think the key was going with the AGR pump also. I've heard bad things about people who have bought just the box. I don't know if mine is just a fluke and works well...so far. The engine I have is the 5.2.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had the same problem as JayH, with the axle end of the trac bar being loose. Recently had to lube the Heim end (frame mount) of my Skyjacker trac bar due to a creak. Now if I could only get the spare tire carrier to shut up . . .

·
Registered
65 Posts
After returning from a 4 wheel drive trip I get popping from the front end when I turn the wheel. I grease the adj control arms (from tera) in the front and the popping goes away-until I 4 wheel again

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MMMBoulder on 2002-04-20 11:19 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts