Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I need alot of help. I have rusted out rockers and need to pass inspection soon. I need a long term fix on jeep. I came across a bunch of ppl who replaced rockers with steel box tubes and I really want to do it. But the only problem is everyone who did it had a zj or xj. I can't find anyone who did it to a wj. Is there a reason? Is it harder? Or is it the same process and no one wants to go for it. Also does anyone know what the price would be Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think it's a price of vehicle thing mostly, around here a WJ can only be had in running condition for no less than 4000 usually. Where as a ZJ can be had for 1800 bucks or so running. I would rather not cut into a 4000 dollar or more rig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is true I think I will do it anyway. Does anyone know if the structure underneath is the same on the wj compared to the wj and also would a mig welder work fine for this I can't weld but a buddy of mine said he would help me out and he has a mig welder

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I don't think there is anything technically different, just the ZJ has been around longer so more have been in need of rust repair. My 99 rockers are rotten and I have been planning this all summer. An unexpected work transfer got in the way and building the rear half of my suspension took a little longer than planned though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O well I am just going to do a cheap patch to pass the inspection but as soon as I get the money for steel I'm going to cut out the rockers and replace them I also am going to fab up some skid plates for it just need to come up with the design first

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
For now, just cut them out along the top, outer, rolled edge, clean the paint off along the edge, drill little holes spaced about 2" apart. Put a lengthe of 1 1/2" or 2" tube about 1/8" (.125) wall, and spot weld it in place. Then spot weld some 1 1/2" x .125 plate/strap to each face of the body support running from the frame rail up to the tube. Then end weld this to both of those as bottom support. I'd follow along the bottom edge of the body brace, since it's already at an upward angle, in case you want to box it in for boat sides later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts