Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

While I am still looking for my GC, I have a friend that is having the issue of their GC stalling while driving. After it sits for 10 minutes it'll start up and drive like normal until it happens again. It doesn't throw a code that I know of. It's an '04 GC with the 4.0 310,000 km (192,000 mi). All the connectors into the PCM are tight, grounds are good from what we can tell.

Would anyone have anything else to look for? I looked through the search function, but only found the problems with the ZJ having close to the same symptoms. After looking through mr google and famous youtube "mechanics", most say it's from the pins becoming dislodged from the board. So we are both at a loss and looking for guidance for our jeeping elders :)

Please and thank you

·
Super Moderator
605 Posts
on the ZJ 4.0 its the crank position sensor on the fly wheel that gives the problem and normally hits a warm engine, then refuses to start again until cooled down.
If it is the CPS then it will only get worse until it will not start at all.
Yes I have had to change mine ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good evening,

While I am still looking for my GC, I have a friend that is having the issue of their GC stalling while driving. After it sits for 10 minutes it'll start up and drive like normal until it happens again. It doesn't throw a code that I know of. It's an '04 GC with the 4.0 310,000 km (192,000 mi). All the connectors into the PCM are tight, grounds are good from what we can tell.

Would anyone have anything else to look for? I looked through the search function, but only found the problems with the ZJ having close to the same symptoms. After looking through mr google and famous youtube "mechanics", most say it's from the pins becoming dislodged from the board. So we are both at a loss and looking for guidance for our jeeping elders :)

Please and thank you
Try the air idle control valve. It sounds like it might be that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The problem is actually on a WJ, so I'm not sure if it'd be the same symptoms. Worst we can do is try it out and see what happens. It's starting to get to where it can only go for about 30 to 40 minutes on the hiway speeds, then it just dies, starts back up again after 20 minutes of sitting. I can't see any frayed/worn wires for where the harness comes close to contacting the head of the block, but then again I wasn't able to get all that far back down on the harness before it couldn't see anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On a different vehicle, I've had an issue where the coil pack will work fine early in a drive but when it gets hot it loses conductivity and craps out. That was more of a misfiring and running like crap but I suppose if ignored for long enough it could cause stalling.
I suppose the same phenomenon could happen to plug wires...

I think its safe to assume its a spark problem because fuel and air are unlikely to be affected by heat, the question is where in the electrical system is the open happening at...I would start with a full ignition system refresh because thats the most highly stressed electrical system...

Reactions: Brian-Emmons

·
Registered
1 Posts
on the ZJ 4.0 its the crank position sensor on the fly wheel that gives the problem and normally hits a warm engine, then refuses to start again until cooled down.
If it is the CPS then it will only get worse until it will not start at all.
Yes I have had to change mine ;)
ignition switch

·
Registered
71 Posts
On a different vehicle, I've had an issue where the coil pack will work fine early in a drive but when it gets hot it loses conductivity and craps out. That was more of a misfiring and running like crap but I suppose if ignored for long enough it could cause stalling.
I suppose the same phenomenon could happen to plug wires...

I think its safe to assume its a spark problem because fuel and air are unlikely to be affected by heat, the question is where in the electrical system is the open happening at...I would start with a full ignition system refresh because thats the most highly stressed electrical system...
Hi

i have changed my Oem coil pack since manufacturer always select
the cheapest parts and did go for Granatelli coils
did not have engine issue but it was not as crisp as i wanted
on pedal input felt that my engine was taking is time to throttle up
my engine run way better have a tiny (very tiny ) bit of improved fuel economy
down side the set of 8 coils set you back about 800$
have no regrets

there is cheap coils available but i would not buy them

my gdma always said
you have to be rich to buy cheap stuff
personally i d rather wait and buy quality stuff