Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my speedometer has been acting crazy for the last year or so. some days it works fine some days it doesn't work at all. sometimes it will hit zero and then go negative and point straight down while other times it will say I'm doing 100mph and I'm only going about 30. does this sound like it can still be the gear in the tc? are these speedometers electronic or do they also have cables running the needle? this is on a 95 5.2.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Yea, mine did this and when i pulled out the speedometer gear from the Tcase it was all melted up. I'd think that you should start there since its only a 13mm bolt that holds the thing down and then you can just pop it out and look.

Reactions: BloNdeChiNeEz

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guy, i will look this weekend since it may be warm enough. do only dealers sell the gear or is it pretty common?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I will repeat what I said....output speed sensor..not gear. Its located on the drivers side of the transmission above the pan. They are $17 at most good parts stores.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
i replaced my speedo sensor and its still not working but 50% of the time. any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Angelous said:
I will repeat what I said....output speed sensor..not gear. Its located on the drivers side of the transmission above the pan. They are $17 at most good parts stores.
Can you take a picture of what you are talking about. I was under the impression that the only speedometer reading came from the speedometer gear that is located at the output shaft of the Tcase in my 5.2L GC. Why would there be 2 speedo sensors?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

This was the Speedo sensor that i replaced. it was on the front bottom of the tranny. I thought that the stem coming out of the t-case was it too but the guy at advanced auto didn't have a clue what i was talking about.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Oh, this is what i was talking about

I see what you're talking about. I'd check that too, i just know that when mine had this issue, it was the actual physical gear that was throwing it off.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
how much did the repair cost you? or if you did it yourself what was involved?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I had a spare gear sitting around and i just unbolted the 13MM holding bolt and clamp from the gear assembly and pulled it out of the case. Then i pulled the gear out of the sensor and popped the new one in. Then i meshed it back in with the output gear and bolted it back down. Took 5 minutes.

Reactions: BloNdeChiNeEz

·
Registered
233 Posts
All of this makes me think you guys actually look at your speedometer while driving, but I know better, besides the goofy speedo story might talk you out of your next ticket..... then maybe not. ;)

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I've been waiting to use that excuse with a cop.

·
Registered
824 Posts
i doubt that will work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts