Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what some of you at my height are running for shocks since I am going to need something a bit longer pretty soon.

I know some run Rancho 9000 9116's front and 9112's rear, some with 9112's or 9010's front if looking for something really long.

How about those of you who don't run rancho shocks? Anyone find a Bilstein better suited to this lift than the 6248? Anyone with Rusty's hydro's? I am basically looking for something that won't slam shut with about 2.5" of bump stop extension in place, but will be long enough to droop once I massage everything else holding the droop back.

I am going to cycle the suspension and measure for lengths, but I wanted to hear some opinons first.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found 'em.

DT 3000's

P/N 3386 for front (Eye to stud)
P/N 3368 for rear (eye to eye)

They measure 17" compressed and 29.5" extended. About perfect for 2"-2.5" worth of bumpstop extension or so...

Thanks to all who replied :D :D :D

Edit: Shameless plug: Gotten from Kolak, they are very cheap.

And I will post again with impressions of them, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wharfrat on 2002-04-01 19:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have received many emails asking me for an update already on these shocks, so here you all go.

Got 'em on yesterday. Install went typically and easily. The hardware for the upper front is fine, and the JKS BPE's squish the lower bushing well. I actually had to use a little pressure from the vise to put the BPE assembly on the shock.

On the rear, a sleeve goes in the bushing for the lower mount and no sleeves go in the top. Because of the softness of the bushings used, you can't torque the upper mount too much or the bushings start to really distort very quickly.

Impressions: They ride very well. A little stiffer than the OME's, but I feel like I have less body roll and more control. I can't wait to get them on a ramp and off-road.

The front ones may be a little long with the BPE in there. I will run with the nice supplied BEEFY bar pins provided instead if they are closing before the bumstops hit. The length of them seems to be that close to perfect.

I have noticed no clunking or undesireable noises whatsoever after the first hundred miles or so.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Who do so many people email me with shock questions, but no one asks questions for the archives? I'll be happy to keep carrying this thread by myself...

BTTMFT!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wharfrat on 2002-04-17 22:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
726 Posts
hey rat, thanks for the post. i ended up using the dt' s and i like them alot.

much better ride than my ias. not nearly as harsh.

;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear it.

BTT

·
Registered
319 Posts
Howdy there Wharfrat,
How are the DT3000's holding up? I am thinking about them, or the DT8000s or Rusty's, not sure which yet. Also, what length did you end up with, the 26.5 or 29.5? I think you did the BPE to, right? Let me know what set up you did.
BTW, I started the puck install with just one in each front corner. I haven't had a chance to check if thats enough yet, but I think it may be. I have 3 more pucks just in case. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the DT also and im very happy with them.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anestech said:
Howdy there Wharfrat,
How are the DT3000's holding up? I am thinking about them, or the DT8000s or Rusty's, not sure which yet. Also, what length did you end up with, the 26.5 or 29.5? I think you did the BPE to, right? Let me know what set up you did.
BTW, I started the puck install with just one in each front corner. I haven't had a chance to check if thats enough yet, but I think it may be. I have 3 more pucks just in case. :D
Nice dude. Glad to hear the pucks worked out for you. Talk about ultimate homebrew...but yet I would never do anything else but them.

I have the 29.5" extended DT shocks. They are holding up just fine. I run them with a BPE in front, but I may have to lose the BPE or add another half of a hockey puck so they don't slam closed under compression.

My bumpstops are currently extended 2.5" in the front and 2" rear.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ok i get the concept of puks as bumpstops, but how are they held in? and how should i install them? plus i doubt there legal in Mass, but hey either is lifting your vehicle more than 2 total inches(ouchers)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thye are held in by the epoxy of your choice.

I have used both JB Weld and Marine Tex with good results each time.

Just scuff the pucks and the coil spring perches with sandpaper before applying the goo. And clean them with a degreaser like dish soap and water too, making sure to let them dry fully.

They may or may not be legal, but no one looks inside your coil for your front bumpstops (ever), and I don't think any state goes far enough to specify what can or can not be used for bumpstops, and they work just fine. Never had one let loose yet in seven years, even when wheeled hard.

Note: This is not my legal advice. I am not an attorney, nor do I pretend to be. You will be doing this at your own risk, legal and otherwise. But they work GREAT for me :D

Edit: You install them by letting that side of the axle droop enough to fit them between the spring wraps. Since they are only 1" tall, they fit when the axle is drooped.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: old shocks

beereyez said:
You wann sell your old OME? what lenght were they?
They were the LT model. I have sold them already for about $150.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hockey pucks may be okay as bump stops but here in Maine some guys try to use them as body lifts on pickups. Totally unsafe. The actual hockey puck is a lot more brittle that the true poly body lift block and the stress of cab leveraging on the pucks cracks them and spits them out. Oh and they are illegal in the Maine and we are supposed to check for proper bumpstops (atleast that they are not missing). But that wouldn't matter since you can lift a zj in Maine anyway since it has ABS. No ABS equiped vehicle may be altered from stock height or tires (raised or lowered). Just throwing in my $.02

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wharf, i dont get it, from what i heard, the DT3000's are really soft, TOO soft supposedly. And also, i have heard that the wear out REALLY fast. Therefore, i ruled them out of my decision for new shocks, but you seem to be giving them a really good opinion. So now what am i to do, here are my options now:

1) Rustys HYdros
2) DT 3000's
3) DT 8000's

I am looking for a soft ride on the street that will help out with the harshness of the bumps. Can anybody help me out, also, i DO NOT want BPEs, i think the bar pins work perfectly, i really have had NO problems with them.

THanks Guys,
Pat

·
Registered
303 Posts
My review of DT3000's

Ok, I hate dialup. Just erased my entire post. I'll try to reiterate what I said.

Pat,

I have the DT3k's, and they're great for what I got them for (thanks to jpav). They're actually kind of soft for my likings, softer it seems than my stockers that had over 120k miles on them. I think I have a little more body roll, but that might be a psychological thing. Overall, they're decent.

They came off of Josh's Tera 3.5" lift, the one without the control arms if that makes any difference to you guys... he said they had worn out within 6 months or so if I remember correctly, so I haven't felt any changes in the ride since I've installed them, which has nearly been a year.

FWIW, I have front-end clunks ever since I installed the shocks, but not sure if they're the culprit. Still happening in this warm weather. They also make squishy sounds too if you care about that. Otherwise, I think they're fine, and for what I got them for, I'm satisfied.

Hope that helps with your decisions. Good luck.

Wharf and Joey, please get back to us after you've put some mileage on your Jeeps. Would like to know what you guys think.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That doesn't sound fine to me. Softer than the stockers :lol: You must cadillac over bumps like 5 times. Thanks for helping me decide against the 3000s, now its between the 8000s and Rusty's.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Showtime said:
Wharf, i dont get it, from what i heard, the DT3000's are really soft, TOO soft supposedly. And also, i have heard that the wear out REALLY fast. Therefore, i ruled them out of my decision for new shocks, but you seem to be giving them a really good opinion.
THanks Guys,
Pat
You want me honest opinion? OK, on a ZJ, the only other shocks I have run are the stockers, the IAS's, the OME's and the DT 3000's.

I HATED the IAS shocks

I liked the OME shocks

I can tell little or no difference between the OME and the DT shocks. They are definitely a little stiffer than the OME shocks, but not by much.

As to wearing out quickly, I have heard that once or twice, but cannot attest to it personally, and for their rpice I don;t mind too much if they do.

The truth is I really don't care too much about ride quality. with 6" and short arms it's not going to be great anyway. I have never had shocks make that much of a difference to me that I could tell. All I could really tell was that I did NOT like the edelbrocks. The rest that I have run are all just sort of "OK".

Just make sure to get the length right for your lift/flex, etc. IMHO, the length is the only thing that really matters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts