Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much thought, debate, etc. in my head, I decided to purchase the RC long arm upgrade kit for my WJ because for one it fit my needs as far as offroading goes and second I felt like it was a pretty good bang for the buck compared to other kits out there, which are very limited and incomplete.

Back to the title of this thread, when I unpacked everything, I noticed the front lower long arms were straight instead of having the slight bend in them. I also noticed that the flex joints were quite different than what they used to have. I contacted RC about the arms and the flex joints. They said yes they took the bends out of the front lower arms to save money? "Bends cost money and RC discovered the long arms would work without them" was the exact quote I got.

When I inquired about the flex joints, they said take the snap ring out and the bushings come out. They did not give me a detailed answer on that. If you look at the flex joint, it appears everything is encased in the joint end now so there is no way to get it out. It is not like the old design where you had the threaded washer deal with the tool to unscrew it. These new joints do not have that.

I went to Clayton Offroads website and looked at their radius arm kit. It is has straight arms as well, however on the crossmember, it appears as if the arm mounting brackets are pretty straight versus the RC crossmember that has the mounting brackets welded on at a slight angle. Which concerns me about binding issues with the RC arms.

Has anyone bought this kit recently and gotten the new front lower arms that are straight instead of the old ones with the bend? And same question for the flex joints? Has anyone received those as well and figured out how they come apart? I am considering sending the kit back. I am concerned about the arms and also the crossmember and arm mounting brackets seem like it hangs pretty low compared to Clayton's crossmember. Not sure if I am too fond of the RC crossmember being one peice as well in case the transmission ever needed to be serviced.

Sorry this was so long winded.

·
530 Posts
My ZJ long arm kit has the new style joints compared to my older RC short arms that are the adjustable type :)
The WJ mounts on the axles are actually set at a slight angle going inwards towards the centre of the body, and more noticeable on the rear axle, it might not look like it but they do ;)
I am going to be fitting WJ axles on my ZJ using a custom rear brace :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ZJ long arm kit has the new style joints compared to my older RC short arms that are the adjustable type :)
The WJ mounts on the axles are actually set at a slight angle going inwards towards the centre of the body, and more noticeable on the rear axle, it might not look like it but they do ;)
I am going to be fitting WJ axles on my ZJ using a custom rear brace :)
So if the control arm mounts on the axles are slightly turned in, wouldn't this cause binding issues if the long arms are straight versus the old ones that had a bend in them to accommodate the the offset axle mount brackets?

This is my concern. Not sure what possessed them to do away with that bend in the arm. Also when turning, the tires will have a better chance of rubbing the control arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts