Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the process of replacing my Dana 44a with a Ford 9" or a ford 8.8... I have a ford 9" housing already, but its going to be roughly arounnd 1200.00 to make it 4.10 or even 3.73.. install disc brakes, fab it out, skid it, truss it and mount it up to my zj..blah blah blah..

I was wondering who has all done the Ford 8.8 3.73 disc brake swap, and how much they have spend on it? I hear the 8.8 and the 9" housings are pretty equal stock strength wise.... would it be cheaper to build the 8.8? or should I just go ahead with my 9" build?

·
Registered
607 Posts
It might be cheaper to do the 8.8. I am am probably going against the grain but I would do the 9" The removable third member is awesome. It gives you more options if you break on the trail. Plus you could go hi pinion down the road if you wanted which is not an option on the 8.8.

The cons: Different bolt pattern than the front and most likely more$$

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm not very familiar with a 9", but there are some things to consider with an 8.8:
- It's narrower than stock. At 4.5" and 33s, I still needed to widen mine using wheel spacers to prevent rubbing on the coil springs during uptravel.
- The narrow width can also be overcome by dropping moola on the bling super 88 kit, that not only strengthens and widens the axle, but it also removes the...
- C-clips
- 8.8 diffs are known for spinning in the tubes. A truss will help this, but I would still weld the diff to the tubes.
- Readily available in 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern

Axle $300 (probably could be found cheaper)
Aussie locker $260
Clayton's brackets $290 (regular brackets can be had cheaper, but they are nice since they are high clearance *doesn't work with the rear trackbar*)
Replacement brake parts ran about $80 IIRC
Plus there is the backing plate and possibly a new rear driveshaft. I forget what those cost me.

Just as a reference for what an 8.8 could cost ya if you get new parts.

·
Registered
307 Posts
9" is a GREAT axle...MUCH stronger than a 8.8. Massive higher angled pinion for more contact, extra pinion support bearing, spanner's so no need for shims allowing a much easier gear setup, massive main caps, and not to mention the 3rd member. All while still retaining good ground clearance. heres a comparison to a D60...click on "why a nine" http://www.sunrayengineering.com/

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
9" no question...

Send a PM to WJJEEPER if you have questions. He put a 9" under his WJ and it is great. He used eldorado (if I remember right) calipers on the rear, and did it for a great price. Look for details on his build thread. I think the thread is called Project Killswitch.

You won't run into the Speedo and Self Adjusting e-brake problems on your ZJ that you would face with a WJ.

·
Registered
515 Posts
theres also a reason so many people run the 8.8 though. one weakness of the 8.8 is the carrier itself. if you run a full case locker in this axle its extremely stout. BTW to the 9" lovers, 8.8 31 spline shafts are actually a lil' bigger than the 9" ones so i wouldn't say the 9" is stronger by any means...... other benefits will be that your disc brakes will work with this axle, and its cost is cheaper; its the right width, and theres tonnes of them and can be picked up CHEAP. the aftermarket supports the axle almost as much as the 9" plus they are all 4.5 bolt pattern.........

good luck with the swap!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
theres also a reason so many people run the 8.8 though. one weakness of the 8.8 is the carrier itself. if you run a full case locker in this axle its extremely stout. BTW to the 9" lovers, 8.8 31 spline shafts are actually a lil' bigger than the 9" ones so i wouldn't say the 9" is stronger by any means...... other benefits will be that your disc brakes will work with this axle, and its cost is cheaper; its the right width, and theres tonnes of them and can be picked up CHEAP. the aftermarket supports the axle almost as much as the 9" plus they are all 4.5 bolt pattern.........

good luck with the swap!!!
But my 9 does not have c-clips. plus the 8.8 is really too narrow for a zj or wj...it needs spacers. There are pros and cons to each.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I built my rear nine with moser alloys and a full detroit for less than a grand. The write up is in the Hardcore Tech forum here on NAGCA. The nine is a way stronger axle but nothings... unbreakable ("They call me Mr. Glass")

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
From what ive seen, I would do a 9" hands down over a 8.8. Like previously stated, they both have their ups and downs. The biggest thing for me with the 9" is the drop out 3rd member. Makes things really, really easy. Do you know if the 9" has a Nodular case or not? If you are keeping the original 3rd member scope out a Nodular "N" case, its stronger overall. If it was me, I would buy a pre-assembled 3rd member, upgrade the shafts with a bigger spline count, disc brakes, lock it and call it good. I may do this in the future, but my 44 is fine for now

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
515 Posts
these guys are right. i'm gonna swap out my 8.8 for a 9"

BUT 1200$ to set up your 9" vs. finding a junkyard 8.8 with 3.73s for 100$.... and you can mate your discs from the D44 to the 8.8......

your call. if moneys not an issue, listen to these guys and go for the 9"

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been looking around and most places have parts for sale but, I don't know what shafts, spline count, or anything else off of this rear end since it is 3 hours away from me. I hear there are 3 different housings some you can re-gear others not so easy....

I have the info off of the Diff tag.. it reads:

WG8-V 7LB

2 75 9 462A

Thanks in advance for your time and I appreciate your help.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
You know... I'm fairly new to the offroad world, but in the drag racing world the Chrysler 8.75" is a very stout rear end. They're also cheap and plentiful, have a dropout 3rd member like a 9", huge axle shafts, AND no c-clips. How come you never see anyone using them in their offroad rig? DANA 60 breaks can work with them too. I had one in my '67 Belvedere w/ 440 and it never flinched at the 550 lb-ft of tq or the 4000lbs it was trying to push.

The only draw backs I can see are: No high pinions available, and you have a stamped, easily dentable rear cover like the ford 9".

·
Registered
26 Posts
soooome 8.75 are known for theyre strength as far as hp and touqe but i dont think the tube size and thickness would hold up well. annnd then theres the problem of price.... ever try to buy a good casting number 8.75?? unless youre dealing with a dummy youre gonna be shelling out a few limbs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep it is a Mopar. Just wouldn't feel right if it was affordable....

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have built nines for a few people and have not had any major problems. i am currently building a pair for my own zj. i know i will still break stuff but not as often. yes the 8.8 is a good diff and can be had on the cheap and don't take as much work to swap in but for someone that used to drag race i have seen what can go wrong with an 8.8 and it can get ugly quick. but i have also seen a 9 explode on launch that can be pretty spectacular. so really it comes down to what you want and can build. and as for nine inch ford axles i always start with the larger truck rear end and narrow from there. they have the beefiest parts of all the nines out there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just picked up 31spline 9" for dirt cheap on Craigslist. Already was stripped and repainted. Gonna swap alloy axles for the strength and bolt pattern and resell the old ones. Just need some brakes, but according to a ton of sites you can use the explorer brakes which makes it cheap and easy. I'm going long arm and will set up the axle wit Clayton's brackets. 9" is the way to go ...if you're man enough ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts